News How to Bypass Windows 11's TPM Requirement and Upgrade from Windows 10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2021
I have i7 7th generation laptop with 12gb ddr4 ram, have tpm 2.0, but still cant officially install windows 11 bcoz it requires 8th or latest generation processors. So if i go with official registry hack, will i be able to clean install windows 11?

USAFRet

Titan
Oct 12, 2021
I have i7 7th generation laptop with 12gb ddr4 ram, have tpm 2.0, but still cant officially install windows 11 bcoz it requires 8th or latest generation processors. So if i go with official registry hack, will i be able to clean install windows 11?

Microsoft's page says it will, as long as you meet other requirements like UEFI secure boot and accept the risk:
MS ways-to-install-windows-11.

Note you need to create install media for Win11, ISO-to-disk or USBdrive.
"Upgrade by launching Setup on the media while running Windows 10 " will use that info from the registry, and even give you the option to keep your data. Other choices listed can be used if that's not important.

Clean Install, for example, kinda implies losing all your personal data, so don't know why you'd want to, but you may have reasons.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021
"However, this method still requires at least TPM 1.2 so, if you have no TPM at all, it's worthless. We'll talk about this at the bottom, in case you want to try it.."

Where are the instructions for no TPM at all ?

Could not find it ....

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Out of curiosity I decided to install Win11 on my Skylake (Intel 6th gen, so not officially supported) PC, using a USB stick installer made with MS's media creation tool. It installed without issue (did a clean install, not upgrade), and Windows update seems to work fine, no hacks required. There were a couple drivers that aren't going to have official Win11 versions because the hardware is too old (e.g. my chipset drivers), but I installed the Win10 versions just fine. As others have noted though, there doesn't really seem to be a compelling reason to move from 10 to 11, at least for now.

So it seems like the situation for Win11 is about the same as it was for Win10 IIRC (which actually had much more restrictive CPU requirements in terms of what was officially supported).

Last edited:

noel_prg_la1979

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
Is it true that you can't activate Secure Boot (the other Windows requirement) on the fly, that it must be enabled before you install Windows 10 (or Windows 11)?

for Windows 11 no as the creator of the Rufus tool has proven otherwise:
https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/wiki/FAQ#Windows_11_and_Secure_Boot

Please note that, while we are currently working on making Rufus (or more specifically UEFI:NTFS) compatible with Secure Boot, and while you may have heard that one of Windows 11's requirements is that Secure Boot should be enabled, it is perfectly possible to install Windows 11 with Rufus, while satisfying its Secure Boot requirement, since Secure Boot only actually needs to be enabled AFTER the first reboot.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Even if you can active secure boot post install, I'm pretty sure you want to make sure that your motherboard FW is not set to CSM/legacy mode when you install. Because I believe changing it to UEFI mode after the fact (which is required for secure boot IIRC) will break your OS install, or at least cause some headaches.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021
Microsoft's page says it will, as long as you meet other requirements like UEFI secure boot and accept the risk:
MS ways-to-install-windows-11.

Note you need to create install media for Win11, ISO-to-disk or USBdrive.
"Upgrade by launching Setup on the media while running Windows 10 " will use that info from the registry, and even give you the option to keep your data. Other choices listed can be used if that's not important.

Clean Install, for example, kinda implies losing all your personal data, so don't know why you'd want to, but you may have reasons.
Well i dont know, i just upgraded first by copying installation file fom windows 10 iso to windows 11, and then added registry as microsoft has officially announced and then clean installed windows 11, now im on windows 11 and it runs well enough. I meet all the requirements other than i have i7 7th gen processor

George9t8

Prominent
Jun 4, 2021
www.georgeandreou.net
Anyone else having issues with the Win11 Image created with Rufus? I got a compatibility report error:

The upgrade option isn't available if you start your computer using the installation media.

Please remove the installation media and restart your computer. After the computer has started normally, insert the installation media and run Setup.

However, when I start the installation using this method I get the 'you don't have TPM 2.0' error.

Nov 2, 2021
Trying to upgrade an existing VMWare Workstation Pro 16.2 VM i get:

"This PC don't currently meet Windows 11 system requirements.
Here's why: The PC Must Support TPM 2.0"

Supporting TPM 2.0 requires encrypting the VM, which disables Linked clones.

Nov 13, 2021
I don't understand. I download rufus, select no TPM and no secure boot and the stupid message is exactly the same. Not supported, no secure boot no TPM. That was a lovely waste of time.

Nov 17, 2021
A simple script allows you to upgrade to Windows 11 or up your previously-installed Windows 11 if you don't have TPM.

How to Bypass Windows 11's TPM Requirement and Upgrade from Windows 10 : Read more

Does not work, tried the Rufus method twice, but still does not work and still got the same error shown below, just waste of time :(

257873995_1237909200022640_1996043851141506673_n.jpg

D

Deleted member 14196

I don’t find navigating windows 11 problematic at all nor do I have any of the problems people are speaking of in my virtual machine of Windows 11. I use the search when I look for anything so I can find anything I’m looking for instantly and just by using the OS during testing have learned the ins and outs of the operating system already. I still only use it for testing are software installs on virtual machines but I don’t get the massive hate

Plus you don’t have to update until 2025

Nov 18, 2021
If you have no TPM at all, such as with a VM, the only way that seems to still work is to create a Hybrid Win10-11 Install .iso. Start with a Win10 install .iso and replace the \sources\install.esd file with \sources\install.wim file from a Win11 install .iso. Make sure you disable update download when you install. If you need more details on methods to create the .iso (which can be done with open source tools), just Google it. My VirtualBox Win10 Pro is currently updating using this method, and I also have an "incompatible" processor (dual Xeon E5-1660's are apparently not enough). I see no reason it won't also work for a clean install.

Nov 26, 2021
A simple script allows you to upgrade to Windows 11 or up your previously-installed Windows 11 if you don't have TPM.

How to Bypass Windows 11's TPM Requirement and Upgrade from Windows 10 : Read more
This script hasn't worked for me I'm afraid.
I followed it to the letter.
Now when I launch Setup.exe from the USB stick created by Rufus, the installation task disappears into thin air.
In the events I see the following:
Faulting application name: SetupHost.exe, version: 10.0.22000.194, time stamp: 0x23bdf69a
Faulting module name: unbcl.dll, version: 10.0.22000.1, time stamp: 0xa6fbc7cb
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000006db4
Faulting process ID: 0xc550
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7e2f29b62bb8a
Faulting application path: C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\SetupHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\unbcl.dll
Report ID: c4ea4aca-f066-4e8d-8c8d-0e69823a4dbc
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any ideas?

Nov 30, 2021
Guys there is an easier way:

1 - Create any windows 10 iso.
2 - Create any windows 11 iso.
3 - Extract the windows 10 iso at any folder of your desire.
4 - Mount the windows 11 iso in the system, then navigate to the sources folder and copy the file install.wim, then replace it in the extracted windows 10 iso at same sources folder.
5 - Unmount the windows 11 iso.
6 - Open the extracted windows 10 iso and run the setup.exe

The installation will say you the version being installed is a windows 10 one but in fact it will install windows 11.

Also if you are using exact same region and language on the isos from the current installed one, it will offer you to keep your files and apps.

Of course, this method also works for bootable USB. Make sure the usb drive has the windows 10 version then replace the install.wim file from the windows 11 iso and you are good to go.

Hope this helps

Worked AMAZINGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

however it was not a .wim file... but just look for the word Install in this folder.

Reactions: Shalmaneser
Dec 11, 2021
Anyone else having issues with the Win11 Image created with Rufus? I got a compatibility report error:

The upgrade option isn't available if you start your computer using the installation media.

Please remove the installation media and restart your computer. After the computer has started normally, insert the installation media and run Setup.

However, when I start the installation using this method I get the 'you don't have TPM 2.0' error.

yes, also got the TPM 2.0 error with the current Rufus download media to my USB drive.

Dec 11, 2021
But then I tried the "AveYo" Script and then ran the Rufus installer and it was working!! sort of . . .

. . . but for installing rufus download it says it's installing the Server version, even though the download said Home/Pro/Education.

trying through Windows Update still gives a "non-compatible / minimum requirements" error

I cancelled the install. Is installing Server going to cause headaches for a normal desktop install?

Last edited:

ttocsmij

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
TPM isn't an issue. Why the media got hooked on that requirement, I don't know. TPM 2.0 is in essentially all CPUs from 2015 onwards. The issue here is the requirement for Secure Boot being enabled (which most current custom PC builds out there aren't, and businesses) and the ridiculous arbitrary ruling on CPUs whether an 8th Gen Intel Core or 2nd gen Ryzen. Even a 1950x Threadripper isn't cutting it even though its stronger than an i9-10920X.

I think the focus on TPM came about when we learn of the fact that the magic code that the TPM system generates is used to encrypt the hard drive(s) in the system. Ergo, ANY little glitch that changes that magic code (intentionally or accidentally), or causes it to become unavailable, turns your hard drive(s) into paperweights. Literally. Permanently. Oh, some data recovery shops might claim to be able to get it back ... but certainly not at any reasonable cost (assuming they are successful in the first place). <sarcasm> But we don't need to worry. All Microsoft stuff is so bug-free and reliable that we never have to worry about such things. </sarcasm>

Status
Not open for further replies.