[SOLVED] How to check if PSU or MOBO are at fault?

Feb 1, 2020
TL;DR: Is there a program or a way I can check if something is going bad on my MOBO card or PSU as it seems one of the two is at fault for my computer problems?

Long Version:

Recently I've been having an issue where my computer will shut off and once I try to turn it back on, it will just display a black screen and the power button won't work to turn it off. (Both times I had a steam game open and chrome with multiple tabs open (don't know if this info matters).

This has happened twice. Twice I have been able to fix it by disconnecting everything from the PSU and also disconnecting the CMOS battery and other power components going to the mobo and waiting a few hours as connecting it all back instantly wouldnt work. I disconnect the cmos battery because I thought that was the initial problem as it was showing it was dying after 5 years of use.

There also has been the issue where I think my GPU overheats/overcharges as while playing games and having some other program on my second monitor makes me lose my display requiring me to reboot the computer to get it back, but I know the GPU is not at fault here.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
TL;DR: Is there a program or a way I can check if something is going bad on my MOBO card or PSU as it seems one of the two is at fault for my computer problems?

Long Version:

Recently I've been having an issue where my computer will shut off and once I try to turn it back on, it will just display a black screen and the power button won't work to turn it off. (Both times I had a steam game open and chrome with multiple tabs open (don't know if this info matters).

This has happened twice. Twice I have been able to fix it by disconnecting everything from the PSU and also disconnecting the CMOS battery and other power components going to the mobo and waiting a few hours as connecting it all back instantly wouldnt work. I disconnect...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Long Version:

This has happened twice. Twice I have been able to fix it by disconnecting everything from the PSU and also disconnecting the CMOS battery and other power components going to the mobo and waiting a few hours as connecting it all back instantly wouldnt work. I disconnect the cmos battery because I thought that was the initial problem as it was showing it was dying after 5 years of use.

There also has been the issue where I think my GPU overheats/overcharges as while playing games and having some other program on my second monitor makes me lose my display requiring me to reboot the computer to get it back, but I know the GPU is not at fault here.

Thanks in advance!

To answer the basic question: no, there's nothing like this.

The best place to start would be a full list of specs. If your GPU is overheating, you should see it in the temperatures and I'm not sure what "overcharges" means.

Solution