[SOLVED] How to clone only C drive to SSD?

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
Hi!

I got a Crucial bx500 240 GB ssd recently and I am having some trouble in figuring out how to clone my c drive from my HDD which is 1 TB in total to the ssd.
The C drive is around 200 GB and I have got 3 more partitions other than that.
All of my programs, except few games are in the c drive.

I am using Macrium Reflect free. I am not sure how to clone only the os partition using that.

There is an option to select individual drives for cloning in macrium.
Is it okay to select only the c drive and the system reserved partition for this task? And should I do the cloning procedure by creating a bootable media or can I just clone while logged in?
would that be enough to boot from the ssd after changing the boot priority?
A bit scared as this is the first time I am doing this.

Solution
How do I make sure that the ssd is partitioned like that?
In Disk Management - right-click on SSD (left side, where Disk (1) is written),
choose properties/volumes and check Partition Style. Should be Master Boot Record (MBR).

how-to-check-the-standard-hard-drive-of-gpt-or-mbr-picture-10-IVjXBj3fP.jpg

https://tipsmake.com/how-to-check-the-standard-hard-drive-of-gpt-or-mbr
Well, it's not straight forward what you ask for, espechially since the HDD also contain boot sector too. I believe you're best off by installing windows from scratch.

However, if you're really determined to do this, despite the risks - here is how I would try (cannot garuantee it would actually work):
  • I don't use the macrum software (can't say if it is capable to do what you ask for), I always use Clonezilla. Therefore the next steps assuming you use Clonezilla. Download it and make a bootable USB pen or CD.
  • First thing to do is to take backup of all personal files, settings, bookmarks, etc.
  • In windows - disk management : Make sure you remove all drive letters (to avoid messing up when windows partition is moved to another drive)
  • Install a fresh Windows on the SSD (this is for creating boot sector etc) into one single partition. Remember to disconnect the HDD while installing to prevent windows installer to mess up the HDD somehow.
  • When you're logged in the freshly temporarly windows, look into disk management and make sure the new partition isn't smaller than the windows partition on the hdd.
  • Use Clonezilla and perform a partition - partition clone. Read the instructions carefully. The mount point it ask for should be the fresh windows partition at the ssd drive (gets overwritten).

Reactions: Legend207

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
Well, it's not straight forward what you ask for, espechially since the HDD also contain boot sector too. I believe you're best off by installing windows from scratch.

However, if you're really determined to do this, despite the risks - here is how I would try (cannot garuantee it would actually work):
  • I don't use the macrum software (can't say if it is capable to do what you ask for), I always use Clonezilla. Therefore the next steps assuming you use Clonezilla. Download it and make a bootable USB pen or CD.
  • First thing to do is to take backup of all personal files, settings, bookmarks, etc.
  • In windows - disk management : Make sure you remove all drive letters (to avoid messing up when windows partition is moved to another drive)
  • Install a fresh Windows on the SSD (this is for creating boot sector etc) into one single partition. Remember to disconnect the HDD while installing to prevent windows installer to mess up the HDD somehow.
  • When you're logged in the freshly temporarly windows, look into disk management and make sure the new partition isn't smaller than the windows partition on the hdd.
  • Use Clonezilla and perform a partition - partition clone. Read the instructions carefully. The mount point it ask for should be the fresh windows partition at the ssd drive (gets overwritten).
Thats sounds a bit complicated for a noob like me :D
Maybe installing a fresh windows is safer then.
Thx for the quick response.

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
Yes. It's enough.

Make sure target drive is partitioned in MBR.
After cloning make cloned System reserved partition active.
First boot from cloned drive has to be with old drive disconnected. If you fail to do that, you'll have to reclone.
Thanx for the quick response.
I am not that familiar with MBR. How do I make sure that the ssd is partitioned like that?