How to completly wipe a HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshalmelow

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
i have a SATA 2 320GB (283 usable) 5400 RPM by WD (western digital) hard drive in a old laptop i have. i want to sell this HDD. i have quite a bit of stuff on here that i deffinantly do not want other people to have. is there a way to delete everything so no one can retrieve the data in it? will it decrease the amount of GB usable? thanks.

D

Deleted member 217926

CCleaner has a drive wipe utility included. It has several preset wipe levels. DOD is 3 pass while the NSA specifies 7 passes. I would go with the 3 pass option since even that will take forever. If it's good enough for the Department Of Defense it should be good enough for what you need it for.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

marshalmelow

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

i did a 7 pass wipe on the computer the hard drive was in, and im on it right now. in other words everything is working fine and everything is still on my drvie. do i have to wipe my drive on a my desktop to delete everything including windows 7?

D

Deleted member 217926

Did you select the whole drive or did you leave it at the default? I think by default it only does free space. You have to select entire drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.