i got some HDD's to scan and when i get to non-boot ones , one dissapears
i use
- 1 TB Toshiba P300 for Boot with 3 partitions C D E
- 4 TB Toshiba P300 for storage
- 4 TB WD Purple for storage
- DVD-RW ( ODD )

STORY
i had a Tehnoware FAL 252 FS 12 520w , no problems
i replaced it with a Segotep GP750G 650w 'cause i wanted something more silent , one of the 4TB drives was clicking over and over
i replaced it with a Inter-Tech SL-500C 500w , everyhting was fine till i tried a full virus scan
according to datashets/specs
- 1 TB Toshiba P300 uses 6.4w on load
- 4 TB Toshiba P300 uses 4.11w on load
- 4 TB WD Purple uses 4.7w on load
- IDK how much the DVD-RW needs
i know a SATA connector can handle up to 54w , so you should be able to use all HDD's on 1 cable with 3 connectors
motherboard is Dell 3800 Vostro , with 2xODD and 2xHDD

should i connect the DVD-RW on a separate cable ?

does it have to do with MB layout ?

do i really need a PSU with 4 cables ?

Well you should be fine, 1 single sata connector should be able to do 4 drives easily at full load, even with an adapter, Though if you can do it without an adapter I would, Just to have less potential failure points.

As for the clicking noise, that's a sign the drive is probably going bad, not so much a power issue if thats what you are asking.

Good Luck!

Jun 4, 2024
Well you should be fine, 1 single sata connector should be able to do 4 drives easily at full load, even with an adapter, Though if you can do it without an adapter I would, Just to have less potential failure points.

As for the clicking noise, that's a sign the drive is probably going bad, not so much a power issue if thats what you are asking.

Good Luck!
it only clicked than , doesnt do anymore

TRENDING THREADS