[SOLVED] how to connect a desktop to a modem using ethernet?

Nov 29, 2019
hello,
i want to connect my PC to modem using Ethernet cable to obtain internet connection.
my routuer is also connected to modem. i have a ethernet wall socket connected to my PC which runs down to my modem in different room.
my modem has 4 ethernet ports but only 1 port works which is connected to the router.
can you help me make the other port work which is connected to my PC.
Thanks

Solution
That is not a valid part number. In general a modem only has 1 port because you can only use 1. Most times if you have more it is actually a router. Now this is not always true especially with what I suspect you have. The box you have is called a ONT. They sometime have extra ethernet ports but they are used for things like cable tv boxes. They ISP must turn on a second port and they only do that for a box they use.

In any case it will not be as simple to do as you think. The signal must still go

---isp---modem--router---devices

To use all the in wall jacks you are going to need a router in the central room. I suspect you have the router in a remote room to provide better wifi coverage? You could buy a second...

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model modem? Make and model router?

If the modem has 4 LAN ports it is likely a combination modem and router.

The path generally being:

ISP---coax/DSL---> Modem ---ethernet cable---> [WAN] Router [LANs] ---- ethernet cables --->wired devices.

So the connectivity is one cable from modem to the router and all network devices must directly connect to the router.

Why do you wish to bypass the router and connect directly to the modem?

What problem or problems are being experienced?

Nov 29, 2019
i want to bypass the router because my wall Ethernet socket end and my modem are in one place and my router is in other room.
when i connect my PC to modem nothing happens.
and my modem is NOKIA G-44G-A and i think its optical one because there were some warnings about laser radiation.

That is not a valid part number. In general a modem only has 1 port because you can only use 1. Most times if you have more it is actually a router. Now this is not always true especially with what I suspect you have. The box you have is called a ONT. They sometime have extra ethernet ports but they are used for things like cable tv boxes. They ISP must turn on a second port and they only do that for a box they use.

In any case it will not be as simple to do as you think. The signal must still go

---isp---modem--router---devices

To use all the in wall jacks you are going to need a router in the central room. I suspect you have the router in a remote room to provide better wifi coverage? You could buy a second router and set the one in the remote room to run as a AP. Normally you can use a cheap wired only router in the main room but since you have a fiber connection you need one that can keep up with the amount of bandwidth you purchased.

There are other solutions if for example you have 2 cables going to the room with the router or you want to buy a couple of small smart switches and use stuff like vlans.

Reactions: aaryaman123
Solution