[SOLVED] How to connect a display without plugging into graphics card?

GoldenCrepe

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
When I first built my pc, I, like everyone else, plugged one of my monitors into the graphics card. The other, however, is plugged in via a USB hub. When I try to plug the second monitor into the computer itself, the monitor sees that it was plugged into something, but doesn't show anything on the screen. I went to the display menu in windows settings and tried to detect another display, but it said there wasn't any. My monitors only have DVI-D ports on the back, so they're connected to a converter that goes to HDMI.

Solution
I was not aware that it was a docking station, I apologise. My parents got it for me back when I used a laptop for school. I am currently connecting monitor #1 to the video card. The motherboard doesn't show anything when I plug it into that. I haven't tried restarting it while it's plugged in, however. I'll look into getting a converter if it doesn't work when plugged into the motherboard.

I'd guess your adapter is not working properly or you have something not connected properly. There should be no issues at all using a Display Port to DVI adapter with the 1660TI card you have. Disconnect the docking station to make sure the video chip there is not messing anything up. Don't plug anything into the motherboard, just the...

That is not a USB hub, that is a docking station, there are pretty big differences between the two. Why are you using that product instead of a much cheaper USB hub? You said you are connecting the monitor the computer, you mean the video card correct? Or the motherboard video? Even if the video card only has one HDMI port it has others you can use, I use Display Port to DVI cables all the time at work.

GoldenCrepe

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
That is not a USB hub, that is a docking station, there are pretty big differences between the two. Why are you using that product instead of a much cheaper USB hub? You said you are connecting the monitor the computer, you mean the video card correct? Or the motherboard video? Even if the video card only has one HDMI port it has others you can use, I use Display Port to DVI cables all the time at work.
I was not aware that it was a docking station, I apologise. My parents got it for me back when I used a laptop for school. I am currently connecting monitor #1 to the video card. The motherboard doesn't show anything when I plug it into that. I haven't tried restarting it while it's plugged in, however. I'll look into getting a converter if it doesn't work when plugged into the motherboard.

I'd guess your adapter is not working properly or you have something not connected properly. There should be no issues at all using a Display Port to DVI adapter with the 1660TI card you have. Disconnect the docking station to make sure the video chip there is not messing anything up. Don't plug anything into the motherboard, just the video card.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS