[SOLVED] How to connect Fans 1070 TI to Motherboard

5cion

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2014
Hi, I bought a second hand 1070 TI Asus Strix, I notice that the fans were not spinning, I bought a replacement set but when I connected them to the 6-pin connector they are not spinning either, I tried to detect them with Asus GPU Tweak and MSI Afterburner without success. So I guess there is something bad with the 6 pins, it is possible to connect the fans to the motherboard, I have a PWM Hub, but my question is, how to connect the 6 pins of the fans to the Hub with 4 pins and be able to control the spin. Can someone help me please????, maybe with an adaptator or some idea. I would be very grateful.

Solution
you could send 12V from outside, and keep PWM from GPU (if PWM signal still works)
i did something like this for gpu aio fans
any multimeter layin around?

5cion

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2014
What is "6 pin connector" ? Did you mean PCIE power 6pin connector? How exactly are you connecting fans to it?
Can you show any photos?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
This is the 6pin gpu port: View: https://imgur.com/zoLjzxk

This is the 6-pin fan connector: View: https://imgur.com/fA9Okl2

I had this 4-pin cable to connect to the PWM HUB: View: https://imgur.com/FQqMTMo

These are the fans replacement: View: https://imgur.com/TokujLl

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I bought a second hand 1070 TI Asus Strix, I notice that the fans were not spinning, I bought a replacement set but when I connected them to the 6-pin connector they are not spinning either, I tried to detect them with Asus GPU Tweak and MSI Afterburner without success. So I guess there is something bad with the 6 pins, it is possible to connect the fans to the motherboard, I have a PWM Hub, but my question is, how to connect the 6 pins of the fans to the Hub with 4 pins and be able to control the spin. Can someone help me please????, maybe with an adaptator or some idea. I would be very grateful.
Well if there are Six pins.. means
1 VCC
2 GND
PWM1
Sense1
PWM2
Sense2

You have to get a multimeter and some long thin wires... Figure out VCC and Ground . And connect them to 12v and Connect PWM pins together via 27Kilo omhs Pull Up resistor to PWM. Pin of CPU fan.. ..
(I used PSU fans as my case fans.. so I have my own hub to actually control 2 pin Fans via PWM from CPU fan Hub.. and that setup still working on my main PC)

Or you can simply remove your GPU shroud.. and left the heatsink on card.. and add 80mm Noctua Fans... And power them via system fan header...

5cion

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2014
Well if there are Six pins.. means
1 VCC
2 GND
PWM1
Sense1
PWM2
Sense2

You have to get a multimeter and some long thin wires... Figure out VCC and Ground . And connect them to 12v and Connect PWM pins together via 27Kilo omhs Pull Up resistor to PWM. Pin of CPU fan.. ..
(I used PSU fans as my case fans.. so I have my own hub to actually control 2 pin Fans via PWM from CPU fan Hub.. and that setup still working on my main PC)

Or you can simply remove your GPU shroud.. and left the heatsink on card.. and add 80mm Noctua Fans... And power them via system fan header...
I think im gonna try both solutions!!! Thanks My friend!

One additional question after connect them to Motherboard how I can control tha fans, with which software, Thanks in advance.

I think im gonna try both solutions!!! Thanks My friend!

One additional question after connect them to Motherboard how I can control tha fans, with which software, Thanks in advance.
Well you can't control these fans from Motherboard.. you need exact pinout... I guess Red and Black are 12v and Ground pins.. rest others are PWM and Sense pins.. if you install casefans. Then you can control them over motherboard software utility for fans .

These fans gonna be hard to control if you don't have experience in Electronics.. how to connect and what are the solutions ..

5cion

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2014
Well you can't control these fans from Motherboard.. you need exact pinout... I guess Red and Black are 12v and Ground pins.. rest others are PWM and Sense pins.. if you install casefans. Then you can control them over motherboard software utility for fans .

These fans gonna be hard to control if you don't have experience in Electronics.. how to connect and what are the solutions ..
Im gonna put the results after a time, and thanks for your help!

From the picture it looks like you were plugging the new fans into the edge of the GPU where you can plug in an extra set of fans. I think some Strix cards have that for some reason? If this is the case, then they may not work because you have unplugged the standard fans from the GPU. I am unfamiliar with the inner workings here, but I think you should take another look, and try to plug the fans into the GPU internally, where the original fans would/should have been plugged in. That plug on the edge of the GPU should not be where the main GPU fans are plugged in. If this is where the fans you removed were plugged in, then that could mean someone else already tried to replace them, and plugged the fans in wrong. Look under the GPU shroud for another connector where the main fans should be plugged in. Someone else might have more experience/information about this for you.