Question How to connect multiple monitor to a single pc

Feb 13, 2019
Hello everyone,

I want to connect multiple monitor(more than 16 monitor) to a single pc while 15 monitors will be only used to show different different data from website and one monitor will be primary monitor for operating the pc.
So far, I tried using splitter but that did not serve my purpose because I can't extend the monitor to 16.
I need a solution where I will be able to extend to 16 monitor and what is the suggested configuration of pc for this purpose.

Note:I want to show data to a industry from a website with single pc.

Thanks in advance.

Can you describe your needs a bit better?
What is the application that needs 15 monitors?
What do you have now?
Do you have the monitors now? What make/model? What inputs do they take?
Are these monitors displaying the same image or output from different apps.
How distant are the monitors from the pc?

Would a single large monitor with many windows do the job?

Feb 13, 2019
@geofelt thank you for the reply.

What is the application that needs 15 monitors?
Ans: I want to show industrial data from server(Data will be updated time to time automatically to server). So I need to open a browser with specific url.
What do you have now?
Ans:I have not bought any monitor now. But I prefer vga input.
Are these monitors displaying the same image or output from different apps?
Ans:This monitors will display a website page with some data that will update time to time in chrome or any other browser.

The distance can be max 150ft. So I am thinking to use vga extender over cat5.

Would a single large monitor with many windows do the job?
Ans:No this would not work. Imagine the schedule of planes in a airport on different monitors and set up at different place.

Last edited:
The airport analogy explains much.

I see two problems.
  1. How to stuff sufficient graphics cards in a single pc to do the job.
  2. How to extend the distance to 150 feet.

Taking #2 first, vga extenders seem to be the only practical approach since my reading limits dp or hdmi extenders to 40 meters.
If DP monitors are a possibility, you can buy two pny nvs810 cards with 8 dp outputs each.

#1 is a problem because few cards are going to have more than two vga outputs.
You can find cards with a number of hdmi outputs and use a hdmi to vga adapter and then connect to a cat5 pair.

As a different approach, consider using a small pc at the monitor location.
Perhaps a lenovo M720 tiny.
Attach to the main server via ethernet

Feb 13, 2019
@Alabalcho, Thanks for your reply.
You mentioned modern distributed way. Could you please give me any resource or a short explanation?

In terms of using raspberry PI how do I use it and does it connect to the web page at startup?

Hello everyone,

I want to connect multiple monitor(more than 16 monitor) to a single pc while 15 monitors will be only used to show different different data from website and one monitor will be primary monitor for operating the pc.
So far, I tried using splitter but that did not serve my purpose because I can't extend the monitor to 16.
I need a solution where I will be able to extend to 16 monitor and what is the suggested configuration of pc for this purpose.

Note:I want to show data to a industry from a website with single pc.

Thanks in advance.

A slitter would be useless in your case since it will just show the same thing on all the screens. Check at www.matrox.com and see what they offer, it's a good company for multi monitor displays.

Using a small computer connected to the monitors is also an idea, they will just run Linux and connect to the web page, no real need for a single computer.

kanewolf

Titan
Why not the "modern distributed" way and attach a device capable of rendering web pages (eg Raspberry PI for example)showing that particular web page?
I agree 16 Raspberry PI 3 are much cheaper than 2 (or 4) graphics cards.
Here is how to start a Raspberry PI in kiosk mode -- https://blog.eq8.eu/til/raspberi-pi-as-kiosk-load-browser-on-startup-fullscreen.html
Which should be what you need. Just a different URL on each.

If that link doesn't pan out, how about this one -- https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8298
Or this one -- https://die-antwort.eu/techblog/2017-12-setup-raspberry-pi-for-kiosk-mode/