Question How to connect NAS on a different LAN? (Or should I bother?)

Jul 24, 2024
Hi

I am hoping to get some help on my current network setup.

It is currently set up as below - all wired connections. I decided not to connect my PC to my router (dream machine) because my ISP offered 2x1000M lines to the home (devices connect to Port 1 and Port 4 of the Huawei device) and so I thought I would get faster speeds or be able to better use the available bandwidth. However, this set up doesn't let my PC access the NAS directly - what do I need to change to get this to work?

I know if I plug my PC into my router (dream machine), I can see my NAS on my PC so all wiring and devices are working.

How do I get the below setup working so that my PC can access the NAS? Or should I not bother because it's not safe, or because accessing another 1000M line is not worth it?

Thanks very much in advance.
pc-scheme-jpg.60481

To start with why do you think you need even 1gbit of internet. I suspect you pay a lot extra to get 2gbit.

High bandwidth is only useful for large file downloads. How many minutes per day do you really do that. Something like netflix only uses 30mbps even watching 4k video. Online games when you are playing are less than 1mbps. These application do not get better or faster because there is more bandwidth it is just more unused bandwidth.

Pretty much the way you get access to the nas is the same as if your pc was in your neighbors house. Some form of port forwarding would likely work but the exact details depend on the nas and how it shares files. The nas would be responsible for any security. You could also run a vpn, not sure if the ubiquiti support vpn.

So unless you really need the extra 1gbit it will be easier to just plug the pc into the ubiquiti. Maybe consider if you even need the full 1gbit plan and how much cheaper internet plans cost.

These high speed internet connections are mostly marketing. Depending on the system there can be between 2.4 and 10gbit of bandwidth on the fiber itself. This is shared by many of your neighbors. So if you have 100 neighbors and they each use 2gbit connections at the same time it doesn't actually work. The ISP knows very well that the average customer users well under 100mbps and it would be unlikely they all download some huge file at the same exact time.

I assume this setup is similar to having 2 separate modems, i.e. only your ISP can manage routing between the separate ports on the modem.

Or - if you're allowed to manage that modem yourself - maybe you also can define routing between ports/networks if that feature are supported?

Anyways, this is questions you have to ask your ISP.