Question How to connect this case fan hub to my motherboard?

thomasst

Honorable
Mar 18, 2017
Hello,

I've been building a new PC and I've gotten it to POST, there is only one issue and it concerns the case fan.

Now, my case, the MS Fighter V310, appears to have a fan hub in the rear, behind where the motherboard is supposed to be positioned. There are three fan connectors, two LED connectors, POWER, SW and DATA. Right now there is one fan that came with the case, so FAN3 and LED1 are connected to it; I connected POWER to the PSU via the SATA power connection; but I don't know what to do with DATA. There are two cables coming out of it - a female connector labeled VDG with three holes, and an unlabeled female connector with three round holes arranged like O-X-O-O.

When I turn on my PC, the case fan runs at its maximum speed, the LED works, but I can't see the speed or manage it through BIOS because obviously the MB is receiving no input from it. My motherboard is ASROCK H510M-HDV R2.0, and it has one four-pin connection for fans labeled CHA_FAN1/WP.

What to do - how to connect the fan hub to the motherboard?

Thanks in advance!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The website for that case gives little info and no details of that hub. The two LED connectors you describe are both for ARGB type mobo headers - there are two common types, and you use whichever matches your mobo. Unfortunately your mobo does NOT have ANY lighting headers to plug into, so you cannot feed instructions for the ARGB lights in fans to that hub. IF you want to, you can buy a third-part ARGB Controller that can provides such signals independent of the mobo. If you want an example or two, post back here.

I do not know what the "DATA" connector on that hub is for.

thomasst

Honorable
Mar 18, 2017
The website for that case gives little info and no details of that hub. The two LED connectors you describe are both for ARGB type mobo headers - there are two common types, and you use whichever matches your mobo. Unfortunately your mobo does NOT have ANY lighting headers to plug into, so you cannot feed instructions for the ARGB lights in fans to that hub. IF you want to, you can buy a third-part ARGB Controller that can provides such signals independent of the mobo. If you want an example or two, post back here.

I do not know what the "DATA" connector on that hub is for.

Hello!

Yes, that's the most frustrating thing - the case manual gives no info whatsoever about that hub.

In the meantime, I pulled out the fan connector from the hub and realized that it's a 6-pin connector, whereas the mobo CHA_FAN input has 4 pins. I couldn't get them to work together - the fan wouldn't turn on.

So here's what I did for now - I put the fan connector back into the hub, and moved the RESET into the SW plug in the hub. Now I can control the LED lighting through the RESET button on the case, and the fan is running at its max speed. Since it's not noisier than the PSU, I guess that will do fine for now. If a problem appears, I guess I'll buy a fan with a 4-pin connector to plug directly into the mobo.