Question How to create an All-in-All Multi-Bootable HDD using a Memory Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
Hi All,

Good Morning. I am Prabhakaran from India. Recently I bought a 256 GB Memory card for my Mobile phone to use it as a Primary Memory but unfortunately my phone lacking the ability to treat external memory as Primary. So the main utility is not available. At the same time I cannot throw it away. So, I am Planning to use it in the following listed ways:
  1. A Bootable Linux (Cent OS 8) - Dedicated Memory 32 GB
  2. A Bootable Windows OS (Windows 2000) - Dedicated Memory 64 GB (if possible, How about a Server OS)
  3. An OTG Pendrive
  4. An Usual Pendrive for my current Windows (Windows 11) - Half of the Memory (128 GB)
  5. A Music Library (some 100 mp3 files to play it on any Media Players on whatever Device which plays songs (Car, TV, Computers, etc.,)
Possible?

With Hope,
Prabhakaran

P.S:
I know its a overkill but currently I cannot afford to buy dedicated pen drives for the above said utilities.. Please Help. Also suggest a good memory card Reader Device. Thanks

Simple answer is no, you're better off getting a drive for each of your OSes listed above. One is enough actually since you can recreate your bootable installer with the aid of a donor PC/laptop/system.
Why so negative?!
insert Jokerwhysoserious.gif here.
Hi All,

Good Morning. I am Prabhakaran from India. Recently I bought a 256 GB Memory card for my Mobile phone to use it as a Primary Memory but unfortunately my phone lacking the ability to treat external memory as Primary. So the main utility is not available. At the same time I cannot throw it away. So, I am Planning to use it in the following listed ways:
  1. A Bootable Linux (Cent OS 8) - Dedicated Memory 32 GB
  2. A Bootable Windows OS (Windows 2000) - Dedicated Memory 64 GB (if possible, How about a Server OS)
  3. An OTG Pendrive
  4. An Usual Pendrive for my current Windows (Windows 11) - Half of the Memory (128 GB)
  5. A Music Library (some 100 mp3 files to play it on any Media Players on whatever Device which plays songs (Car, TV, Computers, etc.,)
Possible?

With Hope,
Prabhakaran

P.S:
I know its a overkill but currently I cannot afford to buy dedicated pen drives for the above said utilities.. Please Help. Also suggest a good memory card Reader Device. Thanks
If you can order from ebay get a sata to sd converter if your system is IDE (older PC) get an ide to sd.
The SD card will look like a normal hard drive to your system and you can do all these things you want, just follow tutorials for them that do it for normal hard drives.
The pendrive thing is just a normal sd reader.
You would have to take the card out of one device to put it in another but I don't think that is a big problem.

Booting and using it for OS will be terrible because of the speed unless you paid an insane amount of money for it where it could be ok-ish but still not good.
Also SD cards have a limited amount of writes and there is no protection against that like with ssd drives so running an older OS from it is not a great idea.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...TitleDesc=0&_odkw=sata2sd+converter&_osacat=0

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
Why the OS's?
What system(s) would you connect it to, and how?

Running Windowss off an externally connected SD card is not easy, and a terrible idea.

1. CentOS 8 - For Asterisk (Home ⋆ Asterisk )
  2. Windows 2000 - To upskill my Knowledge from Ms Access to SQL (Buy Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server (Sams White Book Series) Book Online at Low Prices in India | Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server (Sams White Book Series) Reviews & Ratings - Amazon.in )
  3. OTG - For my Mobile (vivo U10 | vivo India )
My SD Card Details

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
Does not require a 20+ year old OS.

And again, connected to the PC how?

I hope you're not planning on just sticking it randomly into different systems.

And running Windows from an SD card is a terrible idea, performancewise.

Does not require a 20+ year old OS. - Yes it Does require to read that book from the author's Eyes.

And again, connected to the PC how? - VirtualBox (Oracle VM VirtualBox )

I hope you're not planning on just sticking it randomly into different systems. - Yes. Very rarely but using VirtualBox Only.

And running Windows from an SD card is a terrible idea, performancewise - How about a 20+ year old OS.

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016

USAFRet

Titan
There are newer ones. - meaning my current requirement is not possible at all?
And you did not mention anything about VirtualBox. - But sometimes I may wish to Direct Boot. Not possible? Especially at my customers offices...
Access and SQL Server commands have changed in the last 20 years.
Unless you and your customers are still working with Office 97 or 2000, that book is woefully out of date.

'Direct boot'? Windows is not modular like that.
You WILL run into problems.

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
Unless you and your customers are still working with Office 97 or 2000, that book is woefully out of date.

Unless you and your customers are still working with Office 97 or 2000, that book is woefully out of date. - Yes we have to work exactly on the same (Office 2000 and SQL Server 2000) on a Windows 2000 Machine
You WILL run into problems. - That's why I want to give a dedicated Drive to be created on that pendrive (Possible?) 64 GB
You WILL run into problems - Solutions will be made only if there is a problem before... Ready to face it.

USAFRet

Titan
You WILL run into problems. - That's why I want to give a dedicated Drive to be created on that pendrive (Possible?) 64 GB
You WILL run into problems - Solutions will be made only if there is a problem before... Ready to face it.
I meant trying to boot a Windows OS in random different systems. This WILL lead to problems.
Often, simply not booting up at all.
Or, trying to boot up, and messing the OS enough so that it does not boot in any hardware.

And you and your customers are still actually running Windows 2000 and Office 2000?
Seriously?

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
I meant trying to boot a Windows OS in random different systems. This WILL lead to problems.
Often, simply not booting up at all.
Or, trying to boot up, and messing the OS enough so that it does not boot in any hardware.
- in customer's PC only the required for them will be installed but For my PC (Only on my PC - I want it all). I am again asking (confirming). Is it possible? Kindly conclude. Thanks :)
And you and your customers are still actually running Windows 2000 and Office 2000?
Seriously?
Microsoft sometimes (very rarely) downsize their tool especially when talking about ADP Files (Not .mdb or .accdb but adp or accdp)

USAFRet

Titan
- in customer's PC only the required for them will be installed but For my PC (Only on my PC - I want it all). I am again asking (confirming). Is it possible? Kindly conclude. Thanks :)

Microsoft sometimes (very rarely) downsize their tool especially when talking about ADP Files (Not .mdb or .accdb but adp or accdp)
I have no idea of what you mean by either of those statements.

How many different ways does it have to be put? You cannot do what you propose, no how, no way. Windows 2000 alone cannot in any way be natively installed to or booted from external media. Now, if you are talking solely about a virtual machine then you can create a virtual environment that will be usable (at GREATLY reduced performance) from removable media.

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
Okay let's skip the windows thing. What about the other utilities. You know... The following things:
1. Bootable Linux (Cent OS 8) - Dedicated Memory 32 GB
  1. An OTG Pendrive
  2. An Usual Pendrive for my current Windows (Windows 11) - Half of the Memory (128 GB)
  3. A Music Library (some 100 mp3 files to play it on any Media Players on whatever Device which plays songs (Car, TV, Computers, etc.,)

USAFRet

Titan
Okay let's skip the windows thing. What about the other utilities. You know... The following things:
1. Bootable Linux (Cent OS 8) - Dedicated Memory 32 GB
  1. An OTG Pendrive
  2. An Usual Pendrive for my current Windows (Windows 11) - Half of the Memory (128 GB)
  3. A Music Library (some 100 mp3 files to play it on any Media Players on whatever Device which plays songs (Car, TV, Computers, etc.,)
What happened when you tried it?

Status
Not open for further replies.