[SOLVED] How to deal with 5v 3-pin RGB when motherboard has no 3-pin RGB header ?

Nov 3, 2021
Recently I acquired a lovely GTX 1080, it's great I love it very much and it was a huge upgrade! This obviously resulted in GPU sag so I bought the Cooler Master ELV8 GPU brace which solved the issue massively. A great product I'd recommend.

I've now ran into the new issue that the RGB of the brace is a 5v 3pin and on a quick look at my motherboard it only had 4 pin connectors. I had a look around and found the Queen.Y RGB Convertor Which arrived recently and requires a connection to a SATA cable as well as the 12v 4pin RGB connector on the motherboard and my main issue revealed itself.

My motherboard is the Gigabyte Z1Z0X-Gaming 3 which by all accounts seems pretty dated by this day and age and the 4 pin connectors I assumed were RGB headers are actually system fan connectors so their entirely incompatible.

Is there some sort of adaptor available that takes you from system fan to RGB I could use?

I've noticed Cooler Master offer some RGB controllers that are powered via USB but they seem to only have 4pin connectors so I'd still require the Queen.Y converter, going into the controller which seems a little excessive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Is there some sort of adaptor available that takes you from system fan to RGB I could use?

Not in a million years.

Fan header pinout:
pin #1 - 12V
pin #2 - ground
pin #3 - sense (RPM feedback)
pin #4 - PWM (to control 4-pin fans)

12V RGB header pinout:
pin #1 - 12V
pin #2 - red (to activate red color)
pin #3 - green (to activate green color)
pin #4 - blue (to activate blue color)

With that being said, tell me, how on earth, do you plan to use fan header as RGB header? :pt1cable:

I've noticed Cooler Master offer some RGB controllers that are powered via USB but they seem to only have 4pin connectors

Here's one Cooler Master's that offers 3-pin (ARGB) headers,
specs...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Not in a million years.

Fan header pinout:
pin #1 - 12V
pin #2 - ground
pin #3 - sense (RPM feedback)
pin #4 - PWM (to control 4-pin fans)

12V RGB header pinout:
pin #1 - 12V
pin #2 - red (to activate red color)
pin #3 - green (to activate green color)
pin #4 - blue (to activate blue color)

With that being said, tell me, how on earth, do you plan to use fan header as RGB header? :pt1cable:

I've noticed Cooler Master offer some RGB controllers that are powered via USB but they seem to only have 4pin connectors

Here's one Cooler Master's that offers 3-pin (ARGB) headers,
specs: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/rgb-accessories/argb-led-controller/

Solution