Question How to Disable "Found New Hardware/Device"

fantisjjj

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Due to my work's demands i have multiple monitors connected to my main computer. One of the monitors is connected/shared with a second computer i use for different tasks while i am working.

The issue : Every time i switch between those two computers (using a HDMI splitter) the main one loses connectivity, with the shared monitor, and therefore messes everything up. "Extended displays" deactivates, background shortcuts are messed for obvious reasons, the sound of "New Hardware Found/Lost" jingling every time i switch back and forth .... etc etc.

Here is an example of my setup (including Monitor Models) : SETUP

So is there a way to prevent Windows 10 from detecting hardware changes? Or maybe trick windows into thinking that monitor is NOT disconnected ?
I know that a possible solution might affect/prevent other devices (such as USB dongles) from being detected but i do not really care since it will save me a lot of trouble and frustration while i am working and i can revert those changes back when i am finished.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Overall, the root issue is that the monitor itself must be configured to match the GPU of your main computer.

When you switch the monitor to the second computer the monitor remains configured for the original host computer's GPU.

You might be able to get the second computer to ignore the "new hardware found" jingling.

But that does not matter. The new hardware/monitor is still not correctly configured for the second computer.

And I am not aware of any ways to send some commands to the monitor to reconfigure the monitor based on its' host computer.

How many monitors are you working with? What are the existing physical connections?

A diagram with details may be helpful: makes, models, HDMI splitter, etc.) to understand what you are working with.

Overall, if the second monitor can be configured with settings that are supportable by both the main and second computers the issue may become moot.

fantisjjj

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Sorry for my late response,

Here is an example of my setup (including Monitor Models) : SETUP

When you switch the monitor to the second computer the monitor remains configured for the original host computer's GPU.
All configurations/calibrations done through monitor's OSD remain and stored inside the monitor's board (unless you have a 3rd party software that can interfere and your monitor supports such software). With that being said it's Windows OS itself that "remembers" the settings and whenever you power on/Plug in a monitor, and they automatically apply all the changes you made in the past(assuming it's not the first time your plugged the corresponding device)

The HDMI switch does not communicate with either Monitor or PC. I suppose it might contain some simple software to switch between the inputs, whenever you press the button, but aside that it's works like an extension cable(you can think of it like an unmanaged router)
So whenever i switch between my 2 computers, the main one completely loses connection and therefor adjust the "Extended Displays" accordingly

Considering the above, the only solution that might work is to cheat windows to think that the "Shared Monitor" is still there, hence why i asked about completely disabling the "Automatic search of hardware changes".
Or maybe a 3rd party software that would prevent GPUs drivers from "notifying" windows that a monitor unplugged.

I know it's a long shot but i am video designer and the whole issue is really annoying while i am working so if someone has an idea that could do the trick i'd very much appreciate it