Question How to enable USB in bios when it's already disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2019
I was trying to recover from an bad GPU driver update and I tried so many ways couldn't get my previous GPU performance back so I choose the ultimate solution rebooting my OS.
I was trying to install Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit in my PC but my mouse and keyboard automatically got disabled once I my PC got to the installation main page where it asks for language so I did some research and found that I need to enable something in my bios (forgot the actual term) I couldn't find that particular option so in frustration I disabled my USB ports now my PC is not detecting the USB components and I can't enable the USB ports without keyboard and without keyboard I can't install os.
Plz help me on this
Mobo : Asus a320 m motherboard
CPU : Ryzen 5 2400 g
GPU : Gtx 1660ti
RAM : 2*4 GB Ballistix ddr4 2400mhz
PSU : Corsair VS 450

Jan 21, 2019
PS 2 will work,
but Ryzen doesn't support Windows 7, so you are probably going to be in a world of hurt for problems occuring.
I only have windows 7 as of now windows 10 is in my hard drive which I can't access because I crashed my os I just need an operating system to access my PC for 15 mins and for that I am making lot of issues on my own

Jan 21, 2019
I think if you can't get a PS2 keyboard, you maybe in trouble, but have you been able to reset the BIOS/remove battery/use jumper?
That will DEFAULT everything and USB should be working.
To reset my bios I need my keyboard to be detected by my PC and it can't because I disabled my USB ports but I didn't tried removing the battery from the mobo to reset the settings

Highly doubtful. I have yet to see a motherboard that didn't have a jumper or switch that was dedicated to resetting the BIOS to factory settings. No keyboard (or other devices) required. Refer to your motherboard manual.
There are plenty of mobos without jumper or switch but you can take out the battery and wait like 5 mins while also pushing the power button before putting it back in and it should have drained the power from the cmos that is storing the settings.

popatim

Titan
USB should work in the bios. The problem is win7 doesn't have the newer usb drivers built in so once the Bios hands off USB to the OS during boot then your USB's stop working.

Ryzen certain supports win7 except for the built in GPU. So all you need to do is slip-stream the drivers intot he iso and then create a boot flash drive.

or you can use the easy method and use the utility Asus created and supplies right on your motherboards Drivers & Utilities page: HERE

Jan 21, 2019
There are plenty of mobos without jumper or switch but you can take out the battery and wait like 5 mins while also pushing the power button before putting it back in and it should have drained the power from the cmos that is storing the settings.
So you are saying I have to remove the battery and hold the power button for some time and insert the battery again into the mono and try to reboot, this will reset my bios to default setting right????

Jan 21, 2019
Ax or Ex? Can't find Ax, did see Ex and this too has 2x usb2 ports.
Sorry man it's ex only and I did the battery removal task and my bios went back to it's default settings but still can't install win 7
My mouse and keyboard is not working in language selection menu and I connected both my mouse and keyboard in usb 2 ports only

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hitting tab/arrow keys/enter to navigate and apply isn't working at all? Try repluging and swap keyboard/mouse around when at language section.

So obviously usb is working since you can start the process so bios is recognising usb2 as it should.

Jan 21, 2019
Hitting tab/arrow keys/enter to navigate and apply isn't working at all? Try repluging and swap keyboard/mouse around when at language section.

So obviously usb is working since you can start the process so bios is recognising usb2 as it should.
Yes mouse and keyboard is working until the bios pushes into the win 7 setup and after that it's not working

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah ok hmm. Seems like some usb devices wont work in usb2.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/EX-A320M-GAMING/E13360_EX-A320M-GAMING_UM_web.pdf page 1-5

Due to the design of the Intel® 200 series chipset, all USB devices connected to the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports are controlled by the xHCI controller. Some legacy USB devices must update their firmware for better compatibility.

It's possible xHCI controller is the problem. How old is your mouse and keyboard? Sounds like they would work with the older EHCI controller but not xHCI. I'm only guessing here.

Is xHCI the setting you changed earlier to prevent usb from working?

Im not sure where exactly these settings are in your bios usb controller section but try find these two settings.

disable XCHI Hand-off
enable Legacy Support

If that doesn't work then probably a ps2 adapter as previously suggested. Will need two adapters because ps2 isn't hot swap-able and need to restart pc if you disconnect/reconnect ps2 device. As said, ps2 adapter may not work for both mouse and keyboard, one might, hopefully both.

Status
Not open for further replies.