News How to Fight Coronavirus With Your Raspberry Pi

Oct 11, 2020
Hi! I have a RPi 4B 2G running with Raspbian, 64-bit kernel with 32-bit userspace. I keep all four cores busy all the time and I’m getting about 1.5k RAC. I’d like to share what I’ve learned.
  1. You don’t have to use Ubuntu. Raspbian has a 64-bit config option. You can set arm_64bit=1 in your config.txt to use the 64 bit kernel. You do have to set the BOINC client configuration to force it to identify itself as ARM64 though.
  2. 2 GB is absolutely enough memory to run four copies of Rosetta, with the right configuration. I use a USB stick for swap, specify a memory percentage use limit in the BOINC global override configuration settings to be 400% to force tasks to download and ignore the memory requirements, and then I used thrash-protect to control swapping to reasonable levels and maintain good performance. I run headless without any graphics and disable pretty much everything.
  3. You do need some kind of thermal management system if you’re going to run all four cores at 100% 24 hours a day. I use 3M heatsinks and that seems to be enough to avoid thermal throttling.
Happy crunching!