How to Fix Any Computer... And Quietly Weep

Status
Not open for further replies.

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Step 3, reload your files from that backup you were keeping. You were backing up, rite?

If this says anything, it's PC FTW. It's the only one that can be reasonably serviced at home with minimal cost, and hazard, provided you take very simple preparation steps.

On a related note, Windows: Partition HDD. Install to new partition. Take salvageable files from old partition and install to new. Delete old partition. BACK UP FILES THIS TIME.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]CyberAngel[/nom]I'm still using my Amiga 3000....[/citation]
Yeah, I loved my Amiga 3000 more than anything I've used since or anything you can get today.

Diversian

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
[citation][nom]a-nano-moose[/nom]What if my Abacus crashes?[/citation]
Haha, so funny. It's odd you say that, I almost bought this 2 days ago.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
[citation][nom]puddleglum[/nom]Yeah, I loved my Amiga 3000 more than anything I've used since or anything you can get today.[/citation]

I second that. It took nearly a decade before PCs were able to match my Amiga 2000 for graphics and sound.

G

That view of Linux might have been funny about 10 years ago, but now it only shows vast ignorance eager to pollute others. I switched from Windows (XP) to Linux (Ubuntu) a few years ago, and I would never go back. After some rough spots getting used to the differences, I found it both easier to use and more reliable than Windows. I don't need the Windows games and everything else is there in abundance.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Actually, modern Windows 7 reinstalls don't lose all of your files. Even if you don't back them up (which you really should), the installer dumps all of the old files into the a folder named "Windows.old". In the end, the PC steps seem to be the most painless (unless you're a millionaire!).

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]rmirwin2[/nom]Anyone care to write one for corporate IT? :)[/citation]
1. Blame it on somebody who recently quit.
2. Blame it on the vendor.
3. Hire an upper manager's relative as a consultant.
4. Get the accounting department to pick a new system at random.

dekyos

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Wow, apparently this guy doesn't know anything about Linux and likes to not-so-quietly weep about it.

I know a lot of linux geeks, and we all bathe regularly, in fact probably more than those hipster Macbois dude. Linux is probably the easiest OS to deal with once you untrain all your bad Windoze and Mac habits. Migrating a Linux installation to new hardware is as easy as copying all the files, and reinstalling your boot loader. In most cases you can pull a Linux HDD out of one machine and stick it in another and boot right up.

Diversian

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
[citation][nom]kornelix[/nom]That view of Linux might have been funny about 10 years ago, but now it only shows vast ignorance eager to pollute others. I switched from Windows (XP) to Linux (Ubuntu) a few years ago, and I would never go back. After some rough spots getting used to the differences, I found it both easier to use and more reliable than Windows. I don't need the Windows games and everything else is there in abundance.[/citation]

The fact that you will never go back, shows your ignorance. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you're dealing in an absolute, which is equivalent to being as close-minded as his antiquated view of linux.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]kornelix[/nom]That view of Linux might have been funny about 10 years ago, but now it only shows vast ignorance eager to pollute others. I switched from Windows (XP) to Linux (Ubuntu) a few years ago, and I would never go back. After some rough spots getting used to the differences, I found it both easier to use and more reliable than Windows. I don't need the Windows games and everything else is there in abundance.[/citation]
Yes and the view that you have to format to fix a Windows PC or buy a completely new Mac isn't true either, good lord man grow a sense of humor, it's a freaking joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS