How to Fix Windows 8 Update Freezing Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is with all of the fix win8 articles coming out on Toms? Again, this is a WINDOWS ISSUE, not a Windows 8 issue.Also, if this happens on your system there is a far simpler solution; Press and hold the power button to force the system off, turn the system back on. During the boot process Windows (vista and later) will recognize that the install did not complete and will re-install the update during the boot process before any applications are loaded. Much simpler than fiddling about with restore points and other useless garbage that people typically don't know how to use properly in the first place. If it still cannot finish the install then it will simply uninstall the update, bringing you back where you started so that you can troubbleshoot the issue.

D

Deleted member 1353997

Also, if this happens on your system there is a far simpler solution; Press and hold the power button to force the system off, turn the system back on.
It's generally not a good idea to power off a computer while it's updating.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
'Cus Windows 7 never had these issues :DI for one had 0 issues in 2 years of using 8 apart from that mouse glitch they patched within a week with KB2908279.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Isn't neat that it now takes 2 or 3 times the steps to do anything important in Win 8?

Non-intuitive steps to boot.

I find it absurd that experienced Win users need to use Google to find out how to do maintenance functions like getting a full system image.

D

Deleted member 1353997

You no longer need to confirm when you move files to the trash in Windows 8 or when you want to merge the contents of two folders, that's 1/2 the amount of steps required compared to earlier versions of Windows.

So... can we has examples plz?

Really? Because pressing the power button on your PC to boot it is non-intuitive?
That's no different from what we were doing for the past 50 years.

Yeah, because everybody knows how to do a full system image on any version of Windows prior to 8 without Google.

Whatever it is you're smoking, I want some too ;)

The problem is that these guides are written with a pretty low end way of doing things. For example, you can access all of the administrative tools by right clicking the Start Button in 8.1 or use Windows + X to get the same results. All the normal shortcuts work.

This just seems to be made for the most basic of users, not true enthusiasts who can move around an OS with just a keyboard.

It does kind of feel like it, especially when the articles are geared towards Windows 8 when in fact most every version of Windows has suffered from issues like this.

PallindroneT3604

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
I've gone to C: /Windows/System 32/wuapp and right clicked. Made a shortcut right there to desktop. One-Stop Updating. Instead of digging around through charms and corners.

I just created a desktop shortcut for the Control Panel and everything I need is right there.

As well, the same GodMode in Windows 7 works in 8 so there is another way to make life easier.

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I've gone to C: /Windows/System 32/wuapp and right clicked. Made a shortcut right there to desktop. One-Stop Updating. Instead of digging around through charms and corners.
You can just press start and type 'wuapp' in the Start Screen. Same as Windows 7 and Vista, the Start Screen performs the same functions as the Start Menu.

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I just created a desktop shortcut for the Control Panel and everything I need is right there...
Win + X will bring up the power user menu immediately, containing control panel and various other administrator tools that most of us use.

cypher720

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
I believe you missed the built in windows update auto fix. Go to control panel, type in troubleshooting. Select Fix problems with windows update. No system restore, no hard reset. Just works.

PallindroneT3604

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Or....I could just click the short cut icon I created and update Windows that way. Now even easier. And yes, I do have a few more shortcuts, but not many. And yes, I've set up the GodMode icon. I really don't have to go to the Start Tiles menu for much....which is the way I like Windows 8.1......it's just as friendly this way to me, alleviating a lot searching or what have you. Works for me!

bloodroses75

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I remember having this issue happening to me multiple times with Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. It hasn't happened yet in Windows 8 (not that it couldn't). Tom's really needs to be more generalized about this as it's an issue that plagues all versions of Windows. I would say to fix this just run Linux, but it has it's own little oddities as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.