How to format 64GB SD card from exFAT to FAT32

Status
Not open for further replies.

i6pwr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I have a Sandisk Ultra 64GB SD card and cannot get it to a FAT 32 format. Tried few links, no success. I'm using WIN 7 also.

Is there any way possible to achieve this?

Solution
Windows won't allow you to create a fat32 partition bigger than 32gig. Use a 3rd party utility to format it like "fat32formatter".

http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/

i6pwr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

Dont have the model number handy, but it's a stand alone motion sensing video recorder. Has basicllly an on button and a SD card slot.

Ivan Shchedlovskiy

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
this method describes how to format flash card or other drive by using diskpart console app

cmd (Win+R and type cmd)
diskpartlist disk
select disk 1 (1 must be a number of your flash card)
clean (this command erase all data on selected disk!!!!)
create partition primary
select partition 1
format fs=fat32

Sharkbyte99

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

Hi Folks,

I have crossed this bridge a few times with new DSLR's and SDXC chips. The problem turns out to be the card reader you use. I have tested many SD card readers and found that many don't support SDXC or 64 gig volumes. I have a Verbatim Universal reader that mounts the volume, reads the data and can be formatted directly in Win7 64bit as a 64gig volume no sweat! The other readers I have won't recognize the volume and insist on formatting as FAT32 at 32 gigs max. Spend $20 and solve all those nasty 64 gig issues fast!

MarcT77

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Using this to format a 64GB SD card I get message: "Failed to determine the drive!!"

On the same 64GB SD card I get:
Virtual Disk Service error:
The volume size is too big.

Before starting this process, I formatted the card from the windows command line using "format e: /q" with no issues, but of course this uses EXFAT.

eugenehogan

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

try miniaide fat32 formatter at cnet download it's free and it work i had the same sd card which supported exfat use the software and presto my sd card now support fat32 files hope this help !!!

AZ Weekly

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
It is not very hard, all you have to do is go to run > type cmd.exe> hit enter, then in cmd, type in format /FS:FAT32 H:

Replace H with the name of the drive, aka removable disk H.

Rine111

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

That does not work for cards over 32gb. You get the message volume 'too big for FAT32'.

derbyp

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014

This worked for me - cheers. With a removable SD this takes a while - eons - either put a brew on while you wait or use:
format fs=fat32 quick

Kevin Bone

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014

Some are using partition software which is kind of the long way around. I use rufus_v1.3.4 which you can download here: http://rufus.akeo.ie/
It checks the "create bootable disk" option by default, so you probably want to change that
Windows 7 reads 64gb MicroSD cards fine

gimmejunkmail

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
MarcT77 said:
Just found this tool http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.ht... which formatted the card without issue :)

I just registered to say: thanks bro!! that worked perfectly, not even ten seconds, and my obscure brand 64gb exFat micro sd card was formatted to fat32. thank you!!

UPDATE:
Sorry, a follow-up: the conversion tool worked fine as I said before, but it turned out that my Micro SD Card was a fake / defective.

I found a program called H2TestW (google it) to check the card, which takes a long time to finish (2.5 hours!), but confirmed that my 64GB card was actually only 4GB (and defective at that!).

So to others who have perhaps also bought a cheap Micro SD Card off eBay, it is worth first checking whether your card is a fake, before you start copying all your data and eventually lose all of it!

lightbonds

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

To all of those who found this tool, THANK YOU! I just registered to say thanks! I Have a 128gb micro sd that couldn't be read but this tool did the trick! Thanks Guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.