How to get 3 monitors on radeon hd 6800 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

d-clough

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Hello, I'm using the radeon hd 6800 series card, and trying to get 3 monitors working. The computer recognizes 3 monitors, but I can only get 2 running at a time. One connected HDMI, and 2 connected with DVI's. Is there a splitter for the DVI, or could I connect #3 to the display-port???

Solution
The HDMI port is usually shared with one of the DVI ports. You can have 1x HDMI and 1x DVI or 2x DVI, but not all three. You will need an ACTIVE DisplayPort or MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter to get all three screens up at the same time. This will also enable you to use Eyefinity if so desired.

C0rehound

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
The HDMI port is usually shared with one of the DVI ports. You can have 1x HDMI and 1x DVI or 2x DVI, but not all three. You will need an ACTIVE DisplayPort or MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter to get all three screens up at the same time. This will also enable you to use Eyefinity if so desired.

Solution

d-clough

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks guys, that helps!! One last thing, I think I have the regular DP connections on the video card, but want to make sure it's not the mini. The literature online for the AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series card says it has DisplayPort 1.2...am I correct in assuming this to be the "regular" DP??

d-clough

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

I think it's a Radeon HD 6870. It's a new company computer, and our IT guy is out of the office today, otherwise I would ask him.

d-clough

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Thanks...I thought it looked more like the mini size, but the online lit. made me wonder. I do think it's the mini. I appreciate your help!

d-clough

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Alright, now I've got 2 new questions, the one you suggest is "Active".... vs, office depot's which does not show to be "Active"...

1) What's the difference?
2) Would it be better for me to go with the mini-DP-DVI adapter vs. mini-DP-HDMI adapter? Would one work better than the other? or not at all?

OK...3 questions.

Thanks again.

C0rehound

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Go with the active adapter. You have to use the active adapter for Eyefinity, and I'm pretty sure even "extended" desktops require the active adpater. Either way I'd go active to avoid any future compatibility issues.

I can't really speak for the mDP to HDMI adapters, I've never used one. I do recall trying to help someone recently having issues with a mDP to HDMI adapter. Personally I would go mDP to DVI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS