[SOLVED] How to get a static IP adress / How do I open my nat type?

ThaSpoda

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
Pic 1
I don't know what to fill in these bars when I fill them with the ipconfig info this error pops up
Pic 2
I have a Huawei 4g router 3 pro b535 purpose of the static IP

(I'm also quite new to networking so pls beginner-friendly answer <3)

The main purpose for all this is so I can open up my nat type from strict to open or moderate.

FYI: DMZ is on and setup correctly, UPNP is on but shows a empty port mapping list, nat settings are set to cone "meaning lower level of security but more compatible on gaming devices" and lastly my firewall is off both on pc and router yet I still have the nat type issue.

Solution
I am unclear where you see these screens.

You also have to be very careful about your terminology. Most times static IP is something you set so your internal PC never changes. This is used so that the IP address you set in the port forwarding/DMZ is always pointing to the same PC in your hous

Now what many people mean when they use the term "static" ip is actually "public" ip. A public IP can be static or dynamic.

The only way to get a public IP is to get it from the ISP. Most mobile broadband providers use CNAT and share public IP between a lot of users. There is almost never a need for a public IP on a phone and those are the primary users of mobile broadband.
You need to call the ISP and discuss this with them...
so I require some more information....

do you want the static IP on the WAN (facing the internet) or on the LAN (facing the computer) side?
do you just wan to set up a port forwarding for your online gaming to a set device?

I wouldn't use a DMZ without a hardware firewall btw

ThaSpoda

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
so I require some more information....

do you want the static IP on the WAN (facing the internet) or on the LAN (facing the computer) side?
do you just wan to set up a port forwarding for your online gaming to a set device?

I wouldn't use a DMZ without a hardware firewall btw
I'm not quite sure what I want. I mostly heard that having a static IP address will open up nat type which is the goal.

You also have to be very careful about your terminology. Most times static IP is something you set so your internal PC never changes. This is used so that the IP address you set in the port forwarding/DMZ is always pointing to the same PC in your hous

Now what many people mean when they use the term "static" ip is actually "public" ip. A public IP can be static or dynamic.

The only way to get a public IP is to get it from the ISP. Most mobile broadband providers use CNAT and share public IP between a lot of users. There is almost never a need for a public IP on a phone and those are the primary users of mobile broadband.
You need to call the ISP and discuss this with them. Some will give it to you for asking, other charge a extra fee, and some it is not possible because of how they designed their system. IP addresses are actually hard to get even for a ISP because pretty much all are already assigned.

Now once you find out if you can get a public IP then you start to look at configuration. In general it is very rare to have to configure a public IP on your router. Most times the ISP will somehow tie it to the ID of your sim card and it will just automatically assign it to your router without you doing anything.

Reactions: ThaSpoda
Solution

ThaSpoda

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019

You need to call the ISP and discuss this with them. Some will give it to you for asking, other charge a extra fee, and some it is not possible because of how they designed their system. IP addresses are actually hard to get even for a ISP because pretty much all are already assigned.

Now once you find out if you can get a public IP then you start to look at configuration. In general it is very rare to have to configure a public IP on your router. Most times the ISP will somehow tie it to the ID of your sim card and it will just automatically assign it to your router without you doing anything.
Thank you! and that's most likely what I need. Thing is my ISP barely understand stuff when I tell them about this issue. Mostly due to lack of knowledge from their part and it's so frustrating. Nevertheless ill be marking ur answer as the best answer tomorrow if nothing else pops up! Thanks once again

I'm not quite sure what I want. I mostly heard that having a static IP address will open up nat type which is the goal.

from what it sounds like you want a simple port forwarding.
to do this you need to set up a static IP for your computer inside your network.
this can be useful if the game you wanna play uses a specific port and informs you to do so.
otherwise there's no use.

usually it gets suplied a dynamic IP via DHCP
when you open cmd and type in "ipconfig" you get supplied with the information
  • ipv4 address
  • standardgateway
  • subnetmask

write that down.

so if ipconfig says:

IPv4 address...............192.168.0.5
subnet mask................255.255.255.0
standardgateway......192.168.0.1

you can now enter standardgateway and subnetmask into "Pic 1"
as for the IP address, you can - in this example - pick any address between 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254, ideally I'd pick one between .150-.200 so you don't get a conflict when connecting your phone or anything else.

now you can go to your routers settings for port forwardings / virtual servers and set up a portforwarding to set IP address, if the application needs some special ports forwarded

--------------------

if the app doesn't need a specific port. you can look at the security settings of your router if you can change the Firewall settings, some routers have a "strict - low - off" setting.
Wouldn't turn it off, but set it to low for example.

------------------

a public static IP doesn't really serve any purpose for online gaming, don't see what the benefit of that would be and what that would achieve.
it would be interesting to know however what the actually is. because "NAT" only means Network Address Translation and translates your Public IP to the Internal IP of your computer. this per se shouldn't limit any gaming experience.

ThaSpoda

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
from what it sounds like you want a simple port forwarding.
to do this you need to set up a static IP for your computer inside your network.
this can be useful if the game you wanna play uses a specific port and informs you to do so.
otherwise there's no use.

usually it gets suplied a dynamic IP via DHCP
when you open cmd and type in "ipconfig" you get supplied with the information
  • ipv4 address
  • standardgateway
  • subnetmask
write that down.

so if ipconfig says:

IPv4 address...............192.168.0.5
subnet mask................255.255.255.0
standardgateway......192.168.0.1

you can now enter standardgateway and subnetmask into "Pic 1"
as for the IP address, you can - in this example - pick any address between 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254, ideally I'd pick one between .150-.200 so you don't get a conflict when connecting your phone or anything else.

now you can go to your routers settings for port forwardings / virtual servers and set up a portforwarding to set IP address, if the application needs some special ports forwarded

--------------------

if the app doesn't need a specific port. you can look at the security settings of your router if you can change the Firewall settings, some routers have a "strict - low - off" setting.
Wouldn't turn it off, but set it to low for example.

------------------

a public static IP doesn't really serve any purpose for online gaming, don't see what the benefit of that would be and what that would achieve.
it would be interesting to know however what the actually is. because "NAT" only means Network Address Translation and translates your Public IP to the Internal IP of your computer. this per se shouldn't limit any gaming experience.
Changed the IP but it resulted in a loss of internet.