Question how to get faster download speed

Apr 3, 2023
whenever i test my internet speed on ookla it says i have 20mbps but whenever i download something on steam it only downloads at 2.5mb/s at it only uses 20% of my network when i look on taskmanager i have i wired connection and i've tried all the tricks on youtube but none seem to work

(edit: i realised that 20mbps is equivalent to 2.5mb/s but still is there anyway to get faster speeds?)

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
whenever i test my internet speed on ookla it says i have 20mbps but whenever i download something on steam it only downloads at 2.5mb/s at it only uses 20% of my network when i look on taskmanager i have i wired connection and i've tried all the tricks on youtube but none seem to work
Are you sure you're using the correct units?
Your ISP reports in megabits.
Steam reports in megaBytes.

Small b, big B.
8:1 ratio.
2.5 * 8 ==20.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What sort of a plan/bandwidth package are you paying for, from your ISP?

i've tried all the tricks on youtube but none seem to work
Which is? In fact you might want to add the specs to your entire build and the make and model of your outer if you're using one + the ISP you're working with.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Those numbers are spot on. 20 megabits/ sec = 2.5 megaBytes/ sec. And 20 megabits is 20% of 100 megabit Ethernet connection. All checks out

If you pay for 20 megabits / sec then you need a faster plan to get faster speeds. If Ethernet port is 100 megabit, then that's working right as well.

As above post your pc specs and info on Internet plan to see if any info is missing.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
it depends on the steam game too . you should take that into concentration .
some games are popular , some games are new release ?
in the steam settings try changing your download servers.
and
use your own ISP issued DNS servers . dns doesn't affect your ping but it does affect your speed.

it depends on the steam game too . you should take that into concentration .
some games are popular , some games are new release ?
in the steam settings try changing your download servers.
and
use your own ISP issued DNS servers . dns doesn't affect your ping but it does affect your speed.
Dosent matter here, they are downloading at the max speed their ISP is providing.
Only option from here is to pay for a better internet plan.

Reactions: Richj444

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
Dosent matter here, they are downloading at the max speed their ISP is providing.
Only option from here is to pay for a better internet plan.

i've got two fiber connections , one is slightly 100 mbps faster than the other . one is prepaid and the other i have to pay on the bill every month.
my steam download is usually around 35 to 36 MegaBytes with the faster one . i will post pictures later .