Question How to go back? Accidentally installed windows 10 over windows partition disk

Mar 21, 2021
I thought I was installing windows 10 onto my ssd, but I think I installed over my computer’s windows. Now I have a windows.old.000 folder in my C: drive, and I know that’s going to delete 10 days. I copied my personal files into my ssd, but I just want to return to the windows 10 I had before.

Settings -> Recovery doesn’t have an option for “Go back to my previous version of Windows 10” and there’s nothing in Backup. I’ve tried system recovery, but the recovery point is after this whole problem began.

Is there any way I can go back? I don’t know how to reinstall drivers, programs, permissions, etc. I just want to use what’s in windows.old.000

Mar 21, 2021
Thank you for the quick reply! I want to post a picture, but I can’t seem to find how to do it on my phone.

is there somewhere other than Settings -> Recovery that I can go for rolling back? I only have options for reset this “PC” and “Advanced startup”

Mar 21, 2021
If you actually installed over your previous install and have an .old file you should be able to "roll back" to the previous install.
Thank you for the quick reply! I want to post a picture, but I can’t seem to find how to do it on my phone.

is there somewhere other than Settings -> Recovery that I can go for rolling back? I only have options for reset this “PC” and “Advanced startup”

Mar 21, 2021
For more info: I was in the (for HP) BIOS and went into BIOS Setup. Then I went to ‘Boot Options’, ordered my UEFI Boot Order to go to “USB Flash Drive/USB Hard Disk” because I thought that was my ssd.

After save and exiting, install windows came up, there was a license agreement, and then there were disk options to select windows to install on. There was only one selectable option, and it had “(Windows)” at the far right of its name, so I thought I was supposed to use that.

I then had to recreate my Microsoft login and everything has been changed since. I tried installing windows again in a different way, but now I just have another windows.old folder, and only one I want is windows.old.000