Question How to go legit with Windows 10.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
So I have bought my PC way back in 2020 during the pandemic. Back then I had no idea about pc and it was my cousin deciding pretty much everything. I have discovered now that my windows is not legit and the PC store I bought my PC from is actually a scam. I also discovered that my motherboard is not a Retail BIOS, but rather a OEM BIOs. I discovered all of these because I am upgrading my PC. I am replacing my CPU, PSU, and RAM. I had no plans to replace my motherboard. But after I found out that my motherboard came from a prebuilt system, I knew I had to replace it.

But one of my main concern right now is, how do I go legit with windows. Do I activate a new key in the settings, or do I need to clean my SSD or my PC as a whole.

The motherboard I have is a MSI A320M PRO-E and I'm planning on replacing it to B450M motherboard since I am really on a tight budget and I had no intention in upgrading my motherboard.

USAFRet

Titan
and the PC store I bought my PC from is actually a scam.
Full wipe and reinstall.

You have no idea of what the shop actually used.

And you do this in conjunction with the new motherboard install.

Reactions: PEnns

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Full wipe and reinstall.

You have no idea of what the shop actually used.

And you do this in conjunction with the new motherboard install.
O damn so I will lose all of my data and files? How do I make a back up I'ma cry rn

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
I was planning all of the services to be serviced by a pc store that is actually legit. I don't want to do it because I'm afraid that I might mess my pc up.

USAFRet

Titan
O damn so I will lose all of my data and files? How do I make a back up I'ma cry rn
Does the system still work?
If so, copy all your files to some other device.

You should be doing this anyway. Especially in prep for a new OS.

Your current OS is a probable bogus Win 10 Enterprise?
You can't go 'legit' to Win 10 Home or Pro from that, without a full wipe and reinstall.

Plus, the shady shop could have used any number of methods to show that "Enterprise" as activated. Many many of those include all sorts of malware.

Full wipe and reinstall. No question about it.
If you take it to some other shop, and they don't do that...go to another different one.

Given your current situation, that is the only way forward.

Reactions: helper800 and PEnns

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Does the system still work?
If so, copy all your files to some other device.

You should be doing this anyway. Especially in prep for a new OS.

Your current OS is a probable bogus Win 10 Enterprise?
You can't go 'legit' to Win 10 Home or Pro from that, without a full wipe and reinstall.

Plus, the shady shop could have used any number of methods to show that "Enterprise" as activated. Many many of those include all sorts of malware.

Full wipe and reinstall. No question about it.
If you take it to some other shop, and they don't do that...go to another different one.

Given your current situation, that is the only way forward.
I have an HDD as a second storage. Can I back my files there so it won't be lost?

Or that storage too will need a full wipe out?

I'm currently using my PC, but I will have it upgraded tomorrow in a legit pc store and probably do everything you say.

USAFRet

Titan
I have an HDD as a second storage. Can I back my files there so it won't be lost?

Or that storage too will need a full wipe out?

I'm currently using my PC, but I will have it upgraded tomorrow in a legit pc store and probably do everything you say.
That HDD should be fine.

ANd when you do this, don't copy the actual /Documents/Pictures/Video folders.
Just the files within. NOT the library folders.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Right now, you have a bunch of "files" in your Documents folder?
And Pictures/Videos, right?

Copying to the HDD, open those libraries, and copy only the Files.
Don't click on 'Documents' and copy that whole thing.
Just your personal files.
Oh, so the file itself and not the folder? Is that correct. I'm really stupid I'm sorry.

USAFRet

Titan
Oh, so the file itself and not the folder? Is that correct. I'm really stupid I'm sorry.
Correct.

Why do we do it this way?
The Libraries carry the permissions of the current user, in the old OS.
This is why multiple users in the same PC can see only their 'Documents' library.

Trying to access them in the new OS, you'll run into permissions issues.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Correct.

This is why multiple users in the same PC can see only their 'Documents' library.

Actually I'm dumb. I have all the important files installed in my HDD. I only have one game and a few pictures and videos that are not so important.

Thank you for helping. It was really a big help.

(I might comment here again If I need your help again)

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Correct.

Also, If I wiped out my SSD and installed a new windows, let's say it's windows 11. Will it immediately need a windows key, or can It wait? Because I really don't have anymore money. I've spent it all on my RAM, CPU, and PSU which cost me around 160USD already.

USAFRet

Titan
Also, If I wiped out my SSD and installed a new windows, let's say it's windows 11. Will it immediately need a windows key, or can It wait? Because I really don't have anymore money. I've spent it all on my RAM, CPU, and PSU which cost me around 160USD already.
It can probably wait.
MS has somewhat changed the rules recently, so I might be wrong.

Try it and see what happens.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Resetting Windows, the license key (provided they used one and not a crack) is bound to your MS Account. It will automatically reactivate. As a backup you can use a tool (not mentioning as it may break the rules) that tells you your Windows key.

If you put in a new MB you are very likely going to run into issues as Windows detects it as a new PC thus the old key is invalid. Sometimes it will let you transfer it, other times it will tell you NOPE.

So just be prepared for that possibility.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Resetting Windows, the license key (provided they used one and not a crack) is bound to your MS Account. It will automatically reactivate. As a backup you can use a tool (not mentioning as it may break the rules) that tells you your Windows key.

If you put in a new MB you are very likely going to run into issues as Windows detects it as a new PC thus the old key is invalid. Sometimes it will let you transfer it, other times it will tell you NOPE.

I'm just gonna wipe my windows driver and install a fresh new windows. I'm also getting a new m.2 nvme since I'm getting a B450M motherboard. My remaining money was supposed to be for a new GPU. But looks like I'll be stuck with this GTX 1050 TI for a while.

USAFRet

Titan

He appears to be doing the new OS install in conjunction with the new motherboard.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm just gonna wipe my windows driver and install a fresh new windows. I'm also getting a new m.2 nvme since I'm getting a B450M motherboard. My remaining money was supposed to be for a new GPU. But looks like I'll be stuck with this GTX 1050 TI for a while.
I'd seriously consider getting the valid Windows license instead of the new NVMe.

Add the NVMe later, and clone it all over.