Paradise My-Colors

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to ground my pc (and only my pc) that's because i live in a great country where the grounding cable for the house doesn't exist.

And my pc case shocks me every time i touch it while standing on the floor (pc newly built).

So since my room isn't close to a garden, i was thinking of getting a plant with about 15cm^2 of dirt around it and connecting my pc grounding wire to a metal rode and placing it in the dirt.

Will that work efficiently ? Is there an easier way to do it ?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Heh, that won't work. What the PC needs is a line to earth ground, and that doesn't mean just some dirt. The absolute easiest way to get a ground when one isn't available is to find a copper water pipe and run a copper cable to it, then secure it to the pipe with a hose clamp or something. I'm not sure what else you'd have for an option.

Paradise My-Colors

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Heh, that won't work. What the PC needs is a line to earth ground, and that doesn't mean just some dirt. The absolute easiest way to get a ground when one isn't available is to find a copper water pipe and run a copper cable to it, then secure it to the pipe with a hose clamp or something. I'm not sure what else you'd have for an option.
thanks for replying,
I was told to find a copper water pipe before but that's easier said than done.
Another option (and I'm sorry if it's dumb but i could not find information to answer my questions)
The outer wall of my room has a bit of metal rods exposed, if i connected the wire to them is it considered grounding ?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Seriously ?!! Even if everything inside is properly connected ?
Even if the PC is grounded, you're not. If you build up a static charge (which can happen from just about any kind of movement) and touch your PC your static electricity will be discharged, which you will perceive as a shock. I guess you can think of it as you shocking your PC instead of your PC shocking you, but the result is the same.
And could you explain how can they be not grounded ? Since they are inside the concrete and the building is not floating in space i thought that's it.
Concrete's an insulator. Grounding doesn't just mean 'touching something that's touching the ground', if that were the case then everything that's not flying would be grounded (including your PC sitting on your desk or floor or whatever). It means having a low resistance path to ground.

Reactions: Paradise My-Colors

Paradise My-Colors

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Even if the PC is grounded, you're not. If you build up a static charge (which can happen from just about any kind of movement) and touch your PC your static electricity will be discharged, which you will perceive as a shock. I guess you can think of it as you shocking your PC instead of your PC shocking you, but the result is the same.
Yeah but since if i keep my hand i keep feeling the electricity, and static should happen in a single pulse mode. I thought it's the grounding issue.
Anyway thanks so much for the information. At least now i understand it a little more.

Reactions: TJ Hooker