Question How to identify and repair corruption caused by faulty RAM?

jesse13williamson

Honorable
May 20, 2018
Hello,

Today, I ran Memtest for the first time on my PC and discovered that the RAM is faulty. I've experienced memory-related issues for some time, such as crashes, blue screens, and reboots, but naively concluded that these problems were being caused by an unstable XMP profile.

My main concern stems from the amount of time that I've used this faulty RAM, and the likelihood that this has culminated in unrealised corruption. I'm unsure how I can diagnose/repair this data. I understand I can run /sfc scannow to verify OS files, but should I reinstall my GPU drivers and programs that I use frequently? Should I verify all game files?

I appreciate any assistance, if you need any more information I'd be glad to provide it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
remove/replace the ram now, you can't fix it as such.

if its windows 10, you would be best running the DISM/SFC combo to check files...
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

See if replacing ram is enough to fix errors. If you continue to get them, I would clean install windows as it would let you start from clean.