[SOLVED] How to improve airflow in my pc?

Jan 30, 2021
View: http://imgur.com/gallery/GpnhzSp

Any tips for increasing my airflow? Currently seeing around 80c on the gpu and CPU when gaming. I'm idling at around 42c on both as well. I was thinking maybe more case fans or either a water cooler for the cpu. I have two 120mm slots on the top, and another extra 120mm slot at the front of the case that's not in use. I have a pump fan header not in use too.

Also when I take off the side panel, temps drop by around 10c.

Solution
Your case is reasonable.

80c. for a running graphics card is normal.
80c. for the cpu, not so much.

Some suggestions:

1. remove whatever it is stacked on top of the case blocking hot air from exiting the case.

2. remount the psu correctly.
A power supply fan is designed to protect the psu and has nothing to do with case cooling.
The case provides a filtered intake on the bottom, and that is where the psu intake should be.
This will not impact cooling, but it is better for the psu.

3. The stock wraith cooler is quite good.
But downdraft coolers are not the most efficient.
But if you want better cooling, look to a tower type cooler.
It needs to be 155mm or less because of your case.
Noctua NH-D9L would be appropriate...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Also when I take off the side panel, temps drop by around 10c.
Too big a drop; airflow sucks - NORMALLY, but you don't even have any top exhausts in there, which would benefit both the gpu and the top-down air cooler.
A single exhaust isn't enough with a top-down air cooler.

Here's a suggestion:
Take those 2 front fans and install them both up top as exhaust - if they even fit - and test again.

Reactions: ryanthom100

Gegemon007

BANNED
Feb 4, 2021
If you do/do not even have air flow at the front, why are they installed over there?
Something is not right with that positioning. and if removing the side decreses temperature, it means that the hot air is not going outside of your pc

bignastyid

Titan
Totally

Your psu then throws air at those two fans and they circulate it into the pc to make it more warm
Can u move those 2 fans somewhere they have air circulation inside the case?
Yeah.. No. The PSU is mounted on the bottom and exhausting out the back the fans are on the front so unless there is a fan behind the system blowing the air back towards the front of the case it is very unlikely the air is being recirculated.

@ryanthom100 what model is the case you are using?

bignastyid

Titan
It's a case designed more for looks than for air flow (form over function). The airflow vents on the side are just too small to allow for good ventilation. You could try flipping the PSU so the fan is facing down(case has a vent on the bottom to allow the PSU to suck air from the bottom of the case, and add an exhaust fan or two to the top for an overall negative pressure setup, This will help but likely not make a huge difference as you will be limited by the cases design.

Your case is reasonable.

80c. for a running graphics card is normal.
80c. for the cpu, not so much.

Some suggestions:

1. remove whatever it is stacked on top of the case blocking hot air from exiting the case.

2. remount the psu correctly.
A power supply fan is designed to protect the psu and has nothing to do with case cooling.
The case provides a filtered intake on the bottom, and that is where the psu intake should be.
This will not impact cooling, but it is better for the psu.

3. The stock wraith cooler is quite good.
But downdraft coolers are not the most efficient.
But if you want better cooling, look to a tower type cooler.
It needs to be 155mm or less because of your case.
Noctua NH-D9L would be appropriate.
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-d9l/p/N82E16835608068

4. The case supports 3 120mm front intakes.
You could increase intake by adding a third 120mm fan.
Whatever air that comes in the front will exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.

5. At the expense of increased noise, you could replace the front 120mm fans with higher rpm versions.
I might guess that your fans are 1200 rpm.
You can get real barn burners at 2x that speed that will move considerably more air.

6. Do not try adding exhaust fans on top. They will tend to divert cooling airflow up and out of the case, and will bypass the cpu cooler.

Solution
Jan 30, 2021
So I now have an all exhaust configuration and temps seem to have decreased by around 3c on my GPU and CPU. Not the biggest decrease but atleast it's something. Thanks for the help everyone. If you have any more ideas let me know :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you have any more ideas let me know
There's not much more you can do, besides getting a more airflow-friendly chassis.
The 2 fans are moving more air as exhaust than they were as intake.
The solid panel, plus the tiny side grille - they can't move that much air with so much resistance present.

The alternative to the above would be to brute force it by installing a 240mm hybrid cooler on the cpu, but it wouldn't help the gpu all that much...
Best to change the chassis - Tecware's Forge and Nexus Air models are a step in the right direction.