Question How to improving my rig to get a console like experience at 1080p

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 14, 2021
Greetings Guys,

I am a 1080p gamer. My current rig is an i3 10100, GTX 1660 Super, 16gb 2666mhz & MSI G27C4(monitor).

So far my gaming experience is smooth at ultra settings though games like Far Cry 5 won't go above 80 fps(Probably someone here could say why so and how to improve this situation). I don't know what is the cause, but at times I can walk through a wall like a phantom in the game, or in Far Cry 5, when driving I can see a delay in trees or the surrounding environment in being rendered. However there is no absolute stuttering nor shearing in the image quality.

I was recently playing Tom Clancy the division, and I could literally walk through another character's body, it feels weird. I am not sure if the CPU is causing such but I wanted to know if anybody else has experienced that and what is the solution. If anybody suggest an upgrade on the CPU, since intel's 11th gen is freshly out, I would really appreciate any recommendation in that generation bearing in mind I only play at 1080p ultra for the moment.

Sometimes I feel like I just want to move to consoles since I heard their games are optimized but end of the day you realize a console is just a PC. Kindly note I also bear in mind at times only AAA titles on PC are carefully developed to cater for perfection, but still I would love to hear opinions about this issue I am facing.

Thank you for any potential input.

Best regards.

Apr 14, 2021
A few things.
Your OS drive is too full......clean it up.

Your running a back level gpu driver.

That single channel ram is not helping things.
Consider going to dual channel.
Hi Bob,

One of my immediate upgrade was upgrading my storage and thanks to mention the GPU driver, I will to update it.

I am considering to go for higher speed ram since I am already upgrading. Do you think its worth to look for a board which can support 3200Mhz & compatible with both 11th gen and 10th gen CPUs ? My core i3 10100 max at 2933Mhz. Later by EOY I can upgrade to an i5 11400f ?

Any recommendation of you ? Early researches show Z490 chipsets are compatible to both generations just via a BIOS update.

Thanks trillions for any potential input.

Edit : I've realized I'm better off with a new mobo of Z590 Chipset, new storage & dual chanel of 3200mhz ram. This leaves me with enough time to test how my i3 is performing, if not I can still update to an i5 11th gen. Thanks trillion guys !

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

One of my immediate upgrade was upgrading my storage and thanks to mention the GPU driver, I will to update it.

I am considering to go for higher speed ram since I am already upgrading. Do you think its worth to look for a board which can support 3200Mhz & compatible with both 11th gen and 10th gen CPUs ? My core i3 10100 max at 2933Mhz. Later by EOY I can upgrade to an i5 11400f ?

Any recommendation of you ? Early researches show Z490 chipsets are compatible to both generations just via a BIOS update.

Thanks trillions for any potential input.

Edit : I've realized I'm better off with a new mobo of Z590 Chipset, new storage & dual chanel of 3200mhz ram. This leaves me with enough time to test how my i3 is performing, if not I can still update to an i5 11th gen. Thanks trillion guys !
I'd leave the mobo/cpu upgrade for later.

Start with the ram.
2x8GB@3200.
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/msi-(micro-star)/h410m-a-pro
Test.

Upgrade/cleanup your storage.
Test.

Upgrade your gpu driver.
Test.

Reactions: jason790
Apr 14, 2021
Apr 14, 2021
No point in going higher speed ram on that motherboard you have, with an i5 or lower it only supports 2666mhz at best.
Hi Vic,

Thanks for your input. Sorry for the delay, eventually I ran a test using msi afterburner. Indeed I am at times hitting well over 96% of CPU usage. Any conclusion on that ? Thanks for any potential input.

Apr 14, 2021

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Mostly to me looks like the cpu+gpu are well matched, think you should get abit more performance out of dualchannel so see no reason to immidiately upgrade either. Just wait what dualchannel ram will do for you, that migt just solve that the gpu sometimes drops usage a little, like around 90% right now.

Is just one game so other games might tax both parts differently.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu = fps.
Gpu = eye-candy.
They work hand in hand. On low eye-candy you should be seeing the maximum fps you can get, but turn up the details and the gpu can't render as fast, fps on the monitor goes down. Fps from the cpu remains unchanged.

So if you are seeing just plain low fps no matter what settings, a stronger/faster cpu is needed, most times just a bump up in core counts is all that's required, but many times it's the turbo speeds too.

If you can't get the eye-candy you want at acceptable frame rates, a stronger gpu is required.

Ram helps the cpu and can increase fps if your ram is acting as a bottleneck. Not just actual ram speeds, but ram timings are important as well because it's the timings which regulate how fast data comes in, works, goes out to the cpu. It's a balance.

Apr 14, 2021
Cpu = fps.
Gpu = eye-candy.
They work hand in hand. On low eye-candy you should be seeing the maximum fps you can get, but turn up the details and the gpu can't render as fast, fps on the monitor goes down. Fps from the cpu remains unchanged.

So if you are seeing just plain low fps no matter what settings, a stronger/faster cpu is needed, most times just a bump up in core counts is all that's required, but many times it's the turbo speeds too.

If you can't get the eye-candy you want at acceptable frame rates, a stronger gpu is required.

Ram helps the cpu and can increase fps if your ram is acting as a bottleneck. Not just actual ram speeds, but ram timings are important as well because it's the timings which regulate how fast data comes in, works, goes out to the cpu. It's a balance.
Hi Karadjgne,

Though it was a lot of information I managed to capture a bit of it. To me, the eye candy is enough. I am sufficiently impressed with the graphics. What is hurting my eyes, is for eg the follow actions : The delay in rendering when driving fast, ghosting like while playing or in NFS Heat I noticed especially when driving fast, I the car doesn't react instantaneously to my commands, I guess if more frames were available it would happen on the spot.

I am still not sure what I should be doing but I'll give a shot to the ram.

Apr 14, 2021
Mostly to me looks like the cpu + gpu are well matched, think you should get a bit more performance out of dual channel so see no reason to immediately upgrade either. Just wait what dual channel ram will do for you, that might just solve that the gpu sometimes drops usage a little, like around 90% right now.

Is just one game so other games might tax both parts differently.
Hi, Its a good news because I remember right before building this rig, I googled what is the best CPU to pair a Super GTX 1660 with and a Ryzen came up, all I just did then was googling the equivalent Intel of this Ryzen. I will give a shot to the RAM like Bob said, Its probably more intelligent for me to buy Higher speed ram since it will lock at 2666mhz but later can still be useful to me. For the least the Dual Chanel can be useful for the moment.

Hi, Its a good news because I remember right before building this rig, I googled what is the best CPU to pair a Super GTX 1660 with and a Ryzen came up, all I just did then was googling the equivalent Intel of this Ryzen. I will give a shot to the RAM like Bob said, Its probably more intelligent for me to buy Higher speed ram since it will lock at 2666mhz but later can still be useful to me. For the least the Dual Chanel can be useful for the moment.
Let's cut to the chase. What is your budget?

I don't want to invest more than $500 anymore.
Then this is how you do it.

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/Asus-Prime-B560-Plus_82_56839.html
Asus Prime B560-Plus $124.50

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1621133-REG/intel_bx8070811400f_core_i5_11400f_2_6_ghz.html
Intel Core i5-11400F $174.99

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-212S-20PK-R1-Contact-Silencio/dp/B07H25DYM3/
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Air Cooler $39.11

https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164176
Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 $88.99

Total: $428

Apr 14, 2021
Thanks a lot man ! Thats an enormous help from you.

I just ordered the RAM. I will continue with the rest depending on the result I am getting. Thanks a lot for the input.

Reactions: Why_Me
Thanks a lot man ! Thats an enormous help from you.

I just ordered the RAM. I will continue with the rest depending on the result I am getting. Thanks a lot for the input.
Nobody has posted it on here yet (no idea why tbh) but the i3 along with the 2666MHz RAM is holding you back. Get a board that runs 3200Mhz RAM along with PCIe 4 ... such as the Asus B560 I posted, get an 11th gen i5 cpu that natively supports 3200Mhz RAM along with supporting PCIe 4 and pair it up with a decent aftermarket single tower cpu cooler and call it good. You have the budget for it so you might as well do it right.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOpWJCWYa6k

Apr 14, 2021
Nobody has posted it on here yet (no idea why tbh) but the i3 along with the 2666MHz RAM is holding you back. Get a board that runs 3200Mhz RAM along with PCIe 4 ... such as the Asus B560 I posted, get an 11th gen i5 cpu that natively supports 3200Mhz RAM along with supporting PCIe 4 and pair it up with a decent aftermarket single tower cpu cooler and call it good. You have the budget for it so you might as well do it right.

Hi Why Me,

In fact, I did my needful research on your input. I catered everybody's input. Research shows that anything lower than the i5 should have good response between the components. That's why I started by Bob's advice by doing the tests & also catered for Vic's input on the RAM because it was the common point between them both.

Once I have the RAM sticks in hands, I bought the 3600Mhz because it is more future proof and also only $5 difference with 3200Mhz though at the moment I will be capped at 2933mhz. My next upgrade will be a 500 chipset mobo since I will still be able to use my i3 10th gen. Then if I am still not satisfied, I will move on to an i5 11th gen. But I know i will need to soon move on the i5 11th gen since games are more and more getting dependant on more than 6 cores.

I am just trying to go in a direction where I upgrade the least expensive part, I test & I repeat so on till I achieve the desirable performance. The knowledge gained will be useful for future builds. I will definitely keep you guys posted.

But thanks trillion for your precious time & input. This thread shall be very useful to 1080p gamers who want the most performance for the least buck.

Regards.

Hi Why Me,

In fact, I did my needful research on your input. I catered everybody's input. Research shows that anything lower than the i5 should have good response between the components. That's why I started by Bob's advice by doing the tests & also catered for Vic's input on the RAM because it was the common point between them both.

Once I have the RAM sticks in hands, I bought the 3600Mhz because it is more future proof and also only $5 difference with 3200Mhz though at the moment I will be capped at 2933mhz. My next upgrade will be a 500 chipset mobo since I will still be able to use my i3 10th gen. Then if I am still not satisfied, I will move on to an i5 11th gen. But I know i will need to soon move on the i5 11th gen since games are more and more getting dependant on more than 6 cores.

I am just trying to go in a direction where I upgrade the least expensive part, I test & I repeat so on till I achieve the desirable performance. The knowledge gained will be useful for future builds. I will definitely keep you guys posted.

But thanks trillion for your precious time & input. This thread shall be very useful to 1080p gamers who want the most performance for the least buck.

Regards.
The i3 is going to hold you back. That is fact. My logic is do it all at once. You'll still be under budget and you'll have a system that will almost double your current gaming experience. Once gpu prices get back to normal (2022 I'm guessing) you can tackle that next.

This was basically my exact suggestion earlier on.

Reactions: Why_Me and jason790
Apr 14, 2021
The i3 is going to hold you back. That is fact. My logic is do it all at once. You'll still be under budget and you'll have a system that will almost double your current gaming experience. Once gpu prices get back to normal (2022 I'm guessing) you can tackle that next.
I'm about to order the remaining parts. I will update you all soon :)