Question How to increase RAM speed on Lenovo Yoga i7 (model 82qe000lus)?

Mar 8, 2023
I have a 8 GB LPDDR5 with a supposed speed of 4800MHz . Upon further inspection it is currently running at 2394 Mhz, and dips down to 1197 Mhz frequently. When accessing the BIOS, there is not an option to change RAM speed.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a 8 GB LPDDR5 with a supposed speed of 4800MHz . Upon further inspection it is currently running at 2394 Mhz, and dips down to 1197 Mhz frequently.
According to WHAT? What are you using to monitor that speed? CPU-Z? HWinfo? Something else?

The bottom line is, it is probably correct because many monitoring programs will only report the actual, not the doubled data rate, which is why it is called DDR memory. 2394 doubled is 4788 which means it's actually running at 4800mhz which is where it should be.

I would download HWinfo, install it, run it and choose the "Sensors only" option. Scroll down to the memory section and take a screenshot then upload it to Imgur and link to it here.

Then install CPU-Z and take screenshots of the SPD and Memory tabs. On the SPD tab you will need to select one or each one, one at a time, of the memory slots that are populated in order to see the details of that DIMM in the fields to the right of the drop down menu.

Post those images here as well, but honestly I think you are fine and it is running at the correct speed. Not sure why it's dipping down in speed because it should not but I suspect that is a result of the software you are using and not actual behavior. That or you are seeing your utility misreport the wrong sensor, and are actually looking at the Northbridge frequency or another related frequency.

Is there a way to overclock the RAM?
On an OEM type Lenovo laptop? No. And even if there was, you would not want to. Very bad idea. It's not a desktop with a lot of leeway for configuration changes nor is it able to accommodate anything much in terms of thermal variations beyond what it was specifically designed to handle. Any kind of overclocking on a laptop would almost, in nearly every case, result in failure of the product FAR sooner than it would otherwise. They are simply designed to barely meet the thermal needs of the hardware and as soon as you start trying to alter that, it will fail from thermal fatigue. If not immediately, then before long. You want something you can squeeze more performance out of, get a desktop. Otherwise, buy a laptop that meets your needs from the start. Trying to treat a laptop like a desktop is a sure fire way to make sure you ruin your device in short order.

I see it ALL the time.

No. It doesn't matter. You should be able to do anything and not have to worry about it if everything is working the way it is supposed to, and has been Vigorously tested to do. BS. It is either right, or not right. There is really no in between IMO. But, it's just my opinion and a lot of people here don't agree. Of course, most of them are also clueless so.................