[SOLVED] How to Install Gigabyte GPU VBIOS ROM?

Branbro

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
I just downloaded an updated bios for my Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC 3X. I got the updated bios from Tech PowerUp's website, the updated bios is over a year newer then my current vbios. Before anyone says anything, yes, I did make sure it's the correct bios for my card, the device ID # and Modal # are the same. I have no idea how to install the updated bios though becuase the file that I downloaded is a rom file. I tried just double clicking it and i get a windows asking what program to use to open it (I have no idea) I also downloaded and installed Aorus Engine but it looks like there is not a way to manually install a bios through that program. I also posted on r/pcmasterace on reddit and haven't received any answers, besides of course people telling me that if I don't know how to do it then i probably shouldn't do it. Can someone please help me with this issue since it seems reddit is no help and i can't find anything online or on YouTube on how to do it, every video i watched says the bios file is supposed to be a zip file, but mine is not. And again I'm looking for help, i know updating the bios could potentially brick my gpu and I'm willing to take that risk.

Solution
You could use NVFLASH. Need to create a bootable DOS thumbdrive, copy the NVFLASH file and the .rom, boot from it and...
backup your file first:
Code:
nvflash --save old_vbios.rom
write your new file:
Code:
nvflash new_vbios.rom
Flashing GPU BIOS for no reason is generally a bad idea, you might run into a great variety of issues by just doing it. Unless you already have issues, leaving it alone is the best you can do to it.

Alternatively, if you are too lazy and trust your windows a lot, you can
  • create a folder in the root of your drive "C", name it "temp"
  • copy nvflash64.exe and your new bios file (rename it into "new.rom")
  • create a new text document and paste the following into it:
Code:
nvflash64...
You could use NVFLASH. Need to create a bootable DOS thumbdrive, copy the NVFLASH file and the .rom, boot from it and...
backup your file first:
Code:
write your new file:
Code:
nvflash new_vbios.rom
Flashing GPU BIOS for no reason is generally a bad idea, you might run into a great variety of issues by just doing it. Unless you already have issues, leaving it alone is the best you can do to it.

Code:
nvflash64 --save backup.rom
nvflash64 new.rom
exit
then save it as update.bat and run the batch file, it should save a backup and do the update, assuming you only have one GPU and no selection is to be made...
And YES,
people telling me that if I don't know how to do it then i probably shouldn't do it
....this definitely applies.

Last edited:
Solution

Branbro

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
backup your file first:
Code:
write your new file:
Code:
nvflash new_vbios.rom

Code:
nvflash64 --save backup.rom
nvflash64 new.rom
exit
then save it as update.bat and run the batch file, it should save a backup and do the update, assuming you only have one GPU and no selection is to be made...
And YES,

....this definitely applies.
Thanks a ton. I was able to successfully flash it. But after a bit of trial and error. So it tiurns out the original update is got wasn't the right one. i tried to install it using nvflash and it came back with a warning saying the card board and the intended board didn't match, so it stopped it from installing (which is an awesome feature) So i downloaded a different update and once again it said wrong board, so i downloaded the last available update and that one worked. Granted it only updated it by 3 months, not the year and a half update I was hoping for. But now I'll see if the issue I was having still occurs. Thje issue i was having was while watching videos on youtube and videos through a media player my screen would suddenly go black, but i would still have audio. i would have to change my input (I'm using my TV as a monitor) then change the input back and i would get picture again. Strangly when this happened I wasn't losing video signal, becuase usually if I had lost the signasl my tv would have displayed a message saying no signal. I was just getting a black screen. And also weirdly enough if I went to the exact moment in the video that the picture went out it would happen again. I tried changing my input to a different hdmi port on both my tv and gpu, I tried changing hdmi cables, deleting all old nvidia drivers, basically every single troubleshooting thing I could think of didn't work so this is my last try, now i just have to wait and see if it randomly happens again.