how to move programs to other partition than C:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Newsgroup,

Without uninstalling and reinstalling, how can I tranfer one large file, 5GB
(containing all my software) to a partition other than C: ?
I have a all my programs in a single file on my C: drive. I would like to
move the entire file to a new partition, registry entires should of course
also be modified.
I know there are some programs which can do this, which one do you guys
recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In news:%23VCLklfuFHA.3000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Fridhelm Neubauer <frieneubaerr@freenet.de> typed:

> Hi Newsgroup,
>
> Without uninstalling and reinstalling, how can I tranfer one
> large
> file, 5GB (containing all my software) to a partition other
> than C: ?
> I have a all my programs in a single file on my C: drive. I
> would
> like to move the entire file to a new partition, registry
> entires
> should of course also be modified.
> I know there are some programs which can do this, which one do
> you
> guys recommend?

There are programs that purport to find and change all the
registry entries and other pointers for you, such as the freeware
COA2.exe. In my experience none of these works perfectly, and I
personally wouldn't rely on any of them. The best way to do this
is the hard way: uninstall all the programs and reinstall them on
the new drive.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

System Mechanic's Application Relocater Tool
http://www.iolo.com/sm/5/tool.cfm?tool=96&collection=SM

Free 30 Day Trial
http://www.iolo.com/sm/5/download.cfm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Fridhelm Neubauer" wrote:

| Hi Newsgroup,
|
| Without uninstalling and reinstalling, how can I tranfer one large file, 5GB
| (containing all my software) to a partition other than C: ?
| I have a all my programs in a single file on my C: drive. I would like to
| move the entire file to a new partition, registry entires should of course
| also be modified.
| I know there are some programs which can do this, which one do you guys
| recommend?
|
| Thanks in advance.

homer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Unless the programs you want to move are very simple you will have to
uninstall and reinstall. I know some programs like MS Office have to be
uninstalled and reinstalled as there are too many registry entries to be
updated and no software can do it correctly.

Glen

"Fridhelm Neubauer" <frieneubaerr@freenet.de> wrote in message
> Hi Newsgroup,
>
> Without uninstalling and reinstalling, how can I tranfer one large file,
> 5GB (containing all my software) to a partition other than C: ?
> I have a all my programs in a single file on my C: drive. I would like to
> move the entire file to a new partition, registry entires should of course
> also be modified.
> I know there are some programs which can do this, which one do you guys
> recommend?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Fridhelm Neubauer" <frieneubaerr@freenet.de> wrote in message
> Hi Newsgroup,
>
> Without uninstalling and reinstalling, how can I tranfer one large file,
> 5GB (containing all my software) to a partition other than C: ?
> I have a all my programs in a single file on my C: drive. I would like to
> move the entire file to a new partition, registry entires should of course
> also be modified.
> I know there are some programs which can do this, which one do you guys
> recommend?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Can't do it. All the path references will be wrong in the registry and all
the ini and inf files of all programs.

Hello, Fridhelm Neubauer.
Well, I could recommend you one very convenient and useful software
it's 'Acronis True Image'
(http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/). Just creat
an exact image of "C" (with all directories, apps, etc) and restore on
any partition. It'll take you about 10 min to complete all operations.
After that you will be able to format ''C", but just in case activate
Win OS selector.
I use this program for making backup image of my system, so according
to my experience it's truly reliable program.
Good luck! ;)

--
Jucy

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks, I once tried to move one program using sys.mechanic, it took hours.
I guess sys. mechanic cannot handle a file containig 5GB of different
programs.

Thanks anyway.

> System Mechanic's Application Relocater Tool

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks, I guess you`re right.

"Nog" <nognog@adelphia.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Can't do it. All the path references will be wrong in the registry and all
> the ini and inf files of all programs.

Thanks, but I don't want to clone a partition, I just want(ed) to move all
my programs to another partition, without the windows folder.

"Jucy" <Jucy.1vem2b@no-mx.gateway.localhost> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Just creat
> an exact image of "C" (with all directories, apps, etc) and restore on
> any partition.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Fridhelm Neubauer" <frieneubaerr@freenet.de> wrote in message
> Hi Newsgroup,
>
> Without uninstalling and reinstalling, how can I tranfer one large file,
5GB
> (containing all my software) to a partition other than C: ?
> I have a all my programs in a single file on my C: drive. I would like to
> move the entire file to a new partition, registry entires should of course
> also be modified.
> I know there are some programs which can do this, which one do you guys
> recommend?
>
> Thanks in advance.

The best programs to do this are the installation programs
that come with the applications. They were written specifically
for this purpose. The other ones rely on guesswork.

Fridhelm Neubauer Wrote:
> Thanks, but I don't want to clone a partition, I just want(ed) to move
> all
> my programs to another partition, without the windows folder.
>
> "Jucy" <Jucy.1vem2b@no-mx.gateway.localhost> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >
> Just creat
> > an exact image of "C" (with all directories, apps, etc) and restore
> on
> > any partition.
True Image creats not simple "clone"-it's image, allows restore
individual files and folders!

--
Jucy

Jucy wrote:
> Fridhelm Neubauer Wrote:
> > Thanks, but I don't want to clone a partition, I just want(ed) to move
> > all
> > my programs to another partition, without the windows folder.

yeah~ the "hard" way is the way ~ you'v been through it all before,
installing and setting them all up - it actually won't take that long
to do, and you'll have it just the way you want, clean and correct.
I have it set up like that - "C" drive + partitions "D" "E" "F" , .....
"C" just for the operating system, "F" is my installation partition
where everything gets installed, "E" is my backup partition(though I
do occasional backups to dvd) and "D" sundry personal stuff.
It might take a full afternoon to do ~ depending on how many prog's to
install ~ but well worth it, on completion get your hands on Norton
Ghost (or Acronis - i Prefer ghost) and back it all up ~ and you'll
always have a clean backup of your system - easy to restore if ever
anything goes wrong!

David

>> Fridhelm Neubauer Wrote:
>> > Thanks, but I don't want to clone a partition, I just want(ed) to move
>> > all my programs to another partition, without the windows folder.
>
>yeah~ the "hard" way is the way ~ you'v been through it all before,
>installing and setting them all up - it actually won't take that long
>to do, and you'll have it just the way you want, clean and correct.
>I have it set up like that - "C" drive + partitions "D" "E" "F" , .....
>"C" just for the operating system, "F" is my installation partition
>where everything gets installed, "E" is my backup partition(though I
>do occasional backups to dvd) and "D" sundry personal stuff.
>It might take a full afternoon to do ~ depending on how many prog's to
>install ~ but well worth it, on completion get your hands on Norton
>Ghost (or Acronis - i Prefer ghost) and back it all up ~ and you'll
>always have a clean backup of your system - easy to restore if ever
>anything goes wrong!

I too have things set up pretty much that way, but there's one thing that bugs me about XP, Documents & Settings. Why on
earth would Documents be filed along with Settings? Documents can be anything, huge image files, even bigger video
files, all making for bigger and bigger back-ups and images. I know it's possible to change the folder for Documents,
and I've done that, but programs like Word still default to saving in My F'ing Documents. Is it possible to change this
default?

David