[SOLVED] How to not kill NVMe M.2?

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Hello,

Back in high school when I had a gaming laptop, I got myself a 970 EVO NVMe M.2 drive. After a few months, it died on me.

It was RMA'd but the problem persists. I assume it's the heat so I shunned NVMe's and never looked at them ever again.

Now I want to get back into having one(thanks NewEgg sale), but I'm still skeptic because I don't want to waste my time and money by reinstalling OS, drivers, apps or sending it for another RMA.

If you have any suggestions on a good brand/series. Please let me know. And is getting one with a heatsink worth it or is it just gimmick?

Solution
Desktop usage, never a stutter from my 960 EVO for 3.5 years...

Were it heat (which is mostly an issue with large sustained writes, barring a poorly ventilated laptop with residual trapped/cast off heat), it should just throttle, not die. (In any event, CrystalDiskInfo will tell you your temps...if above 65C, that's too warm...(I've seen videos where several brands freeze up at 70-75C)
Hello,

Back in high school when I had a gaming laptop, I got myself a 970 EVO NVMe M.2 drive. After a few months, it died on me.

It was RMA'd but the problem persists. I assume it's the heat so I shunned NVMe's and never looked at them ever again.

Now I want to get back into having one(thanks NewEgg sale), but I'm still skeptic because I don't want to waste my time and money by reinstalling OS, drivers, apps or sending it for another RMA.

If you have any suggestions on a good brand/series. Please let me know. And is getting one with a heatsink worth it or is it just gimmick?
Get a slower one, faster they are more they heat up, you will not notice any difference.

Reactions: EridanusSV
Desktop usage, never a stutter from my 960 EVO for 3.5 years...

Were it heat (which is mostly an issue with large sustained writes, barring a poorly ventilated laptop with residual trapped/cast off heat), it should just throttle, not die. (In any event, CrystalDiskInfo will tell you your temps...if above 65C, that's too warm...(I've seen videos where several brands freeze up at 70-75C)

Reactions: EridanusSV
Solution
I use to have a laptop. That I'm going to plug in a Crosshair VIII X570 mobo for the next Zen processors.

And I'm actually just going to stick to SSD for now, I had to get a new cooler so I had to make a choice within my budget.
Oh, I was under impression that it will go into laptop.
That MB has M.2 heatsinks built in so any SSD that has own cooler will not fit under it. You need a "naked" drive for it. I have Samsung 960evo under hetasink on my Assus Prime x470 pro and is not heating much, let alone overheating.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Oh, I was under impression that it will go into laptop.
That MB has M.2 heatsinks built in so any SSD that has own cooler will not fit under it. You need a "naked" drive for it. I have Samsung 960evo under hetasink on my Assus Prime x470 pro and is not heating much, let alone overheating.

It looks like the mobo m.2 heatsink has screws that I can take off and insert the WD w/ Heatsink.

But if I do get a naked NVMe.. do I need to take off the sticker or something? And should I just go for the cheaper, less space one?