liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Hi,
I'm new to OC gpu card. I'd like to ask :

1. How to OC my Gigabyte GeForce 7600GT 256 Mb using Gigabyte's software called V-Tuner 3?
2. It has a display 2D Clock, 3D Clock and Memory Clock. What's the 2D, 3D and Memory Clock means for?
3. Is it possible if a game that will not run using my gpu card and after I OC it, it will posibble run now?
4. Will OC on gpu has the percentage of damaging the gpu itself and avoid warranty?

Any help will be much appreciated. thanks.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
1. How to OC my Gigabyte GeForce 7600GT 256 Mb using Gigabyte's software called V-Tuner 3?
Don't know. I'm not Gigabyte user. Sorry.

2. It has a display 2D Clock, 3D Clock and Memory Clock. What's the 2D, 3D and Memory Clock means for?
3D applications such Games need intensive computing from CPU and GPU while 2D applications such Word, spreadsheet doesn't need a full power/potential from GPU. To reduce power utilization and heat, GPU are programmed to work more slower (could be around half of its total potential) in 2D applications while work faster (full potential) in 3D applications. You'll see that 2D clock are set more small than 3D clock. Not only clock, voltage and fan rpm has different set in 2D and 3D.

3. Is it possible if a game that will not run using my gpu card and after I OC it, it will posibble run now?
OCing doesn't guarantee that you'll be able to play games which can't be played before OCing. It depends on Games requirements and your other peripherals such CPU.

4. Will OC on gpu has the percentage of damaging the gpu itself and avoid warranty?
Percentage of damaging ? Well, it depends on how you overclock it and how you take care of it. OCing could means reducing its lifespan. But you can try to make it longer by using better heatsink and try to keep its work temperature as low as possible.
Avoid warranty ? Errr...Yes, overclocking can avoid your warranty.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Why are you recomending the tool for OCing an ATI card for an Nvidia card?

Mpilch you are great at PSUs and I have alot of respect for you, but I do see you offering some.... shaky... advice sometimes on other subjects.

ATItool works fine with nVidia cards. I have used it on my 7900GT and my 8800GTX.

The reason people recommend it even for nVidia cards is its ability to scan for artefacts and find max GPU and VRAM clocks easily. Give a newbie slider bars only as in coolbits, nTune, and Rivatuner, and they crank them to the max then post questions asking what the green lines/yellow dots on the screen are.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Sorry, I came to this thread from another one where someone linked this one, and their post had a very different "tone" from yours, and I think I kinda transferred that to you :/

My apologies!

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
well that's why i was asking. I wanted to know why you would use ATItool to OC an nvidia card. I wans't awair it would work.

We don't learn unless we ask.

thats one thing track needs to do.
ask more questions maybe he will learn something :lol:

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Thank you so much to all of you that would kindly help me. I think the coolbit software sounds great. I like to try it.

Now I know a bit much of how to overclock GPU. Sorry for the delay reply 'cause there was an internet troubleshoot a few days back in Taiwan caused by earthquake so I cannot reply my thanks thru this forum.

Happy New Year 2007.