[SOLVED] How To OC My Gigabyte Aorus XTR GTX 1080 To Get Max Possible Performance?

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Greetings,

I've recently sold my GTX 1080 Ti Founder's Edition and downgraded it to Gigabyte Aorus XTR GTX 1080. I can feel the performance impact on many games as I was playing them on maxed settings and even upscaled many of them because I have a 1080p 60Hz monitor. I'm new to OCing, this will be my 1st time. I found out on the internet that my variant of GTX 1080 overclocks pretty well. So can anyone help me out in reaching the max stable clocks for my GPU? MSI Afterburner and Unigine Superposition are installed and awaiting your orders ;) Please note that my GPU's temperature always remains in the mid-60s and I will soon change its thermal paste and pads for even better temps.

My RIG:
i5 10400f @ 4.3 GHz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Turbo
2 x 8GB @ 3666 MHz
Msi Gaming Edge Z490 Pro Wifi
Seasonic SSR-850PD
Gigabyte Auros XTR GTX 1080 (https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1080AORUS-X-8GD#kf)

If any further information is needed, please feel free to ask ❤

Last edited:
Solution
Leave it alone or undervolt it. Nvidia more or less broke overclocking on their gpus for most users.
Gpu Boost 3.0 prefers 'cooler is better' and 'fewer power limit events is better'. Overclocking goes against both of those.
Plus Gpu Boost will dynamically make its own adjustments - even ignoring yours - based on the gpu's parameters(mainly power and thermals). With no real means of keeping core clock static in everything, there's no real way to know if an OC is stable.

A how to undervolt if you want to give it a go:
Run Msi Afterburner. Unlink the Power and Temperature Limits - there's a paperclip like icon next to it depending on the skin being used.
Max out only the power limit, and click apply.
Play your games - or Unigine, if...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Leave it alone or undervolt it. Nvidia more or less broke overclocking on their gpus for most users.
Gpu Boost 3.0 prefers 'cooler is better' and 'fewer power limit events is better'. Overclocking goes against both of those.
Plus Gpu Boost will dynamically make its own adjustments - even ignoring yours - based on the gpu's parameters(mainly power and thermals). With no real means of keeping core clock static in everything, there's no real way to know if an OC is stable.

A how to undervolt if you want to give it a go:
Run Msi Afterburner. Unlink the Power and Temperature Limits - there's a paperclip like icon next to it depending on the skin being used.
Max out only the power limit, and click apply.
Play your games - or Unigine, if you want - with Afterburner's own hardware monitor running. Make sure both Core Clock and Gpu Voltage are visible.
[If Gpu Voltage is not visible, go to Settings > General tab, check Unlock voltage monitoring, then go to the Monitoring tab, find Gpu Voltage, and check it.]
After a few minutes, check Afterburner's hardware monitor for the MAX Core Clock and Gpu Voltage. Memorize, or write 'em down.
Please close the game, and open Afterburner's Curve Editor. Take the max gpu voltage you recorded, and subtract 0.05v from it. Find the voltage point in the Curve Editor that matches it, or is the closest match, and click on it.
Then use the up arrow key and raise the frequency back up to the max core clock the gpu touched. Lock it with the L key, and click Apply again.
Save the settings in one of the numbered profiles and lock them. Then click the reset key.
Done.

When you want to start up a game, open Afterburner, click the numbered profile it was saved at, and click apply. When you're done, click the Reset button and close Afterburner.

Memory OC'ing? I'd suggest leaving it alone. It's not as forgiving compared to core clock.
Once a running memory OC starts showing signs of instability, it's usually going downhill from there.

Solution