How to open Asus Essentio CS5111 Case?

Onliner2

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
Hi,
I'm having trouble figuring out how to open an Asus Essentio CS5111 mini-pc Case. I've tried looking through the user manual available on the Asus website but it looks like they left out how to open the case up to perform any upgrades or repair. So I was wondering if anyone who has had experience opening these up could lend me a hand here, thanks.

Onliner2

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
Looks like I was able to find the process posted on the official Asus forums, here's the procedure in case anyone else needs it.

posted by frank at Asus Forums (thanks frank!):

1.add the DDR2 800 MHz.2G , MAX support to 4G
2.1. Remove all of the screws on the rear, there are 6 of them.
2. Remove the black trim on the rear where all the ports are.
3. Lay the PC horizontal so that the CD-ROM drive is on the right and the access door is on the left.
4. Slide the entire top cover, (the panel that says ASUS and has your windows authenticity sticker on it) backwards pushing it toward the rear in the direction of all the rear ports. That entire top cover will just slide back a little and then you just lift it off, similar to a traditional ATX case.
5. Once the top cover is off, your gonna need to remove 3 small screws. There is one that is on the rear by where all the ports are, and then there are one on the left and right side of the case. You will see 4 bigger screws that will probably stand out when you first get the top cover off, those 4 big screws are for removing the hard drive, you won't need to remove them if you are just changing the memory.
6. Once you have all three of the little screws out, you can then pop the front cover of the pc off. You will see little clips on the top which are holding it to the chassis. Just pry up on them a little and they will pop free allowing you to remove the entire front cover. *NOTE* that when your removing the front cover there will be a two wire connector that needs to be removed, so be sure not to pull too hard on the front cover as to make sure you don't yank the socket etc.
7. Once the front cover is off you can then lift up on the entire top piece where you removed the three screws. The CD-ROM and Hard Drive will just lift right out. *NOTE* Be sure to keep an eye on the ribbon cable that connects to the motherboard. You shouldn't have to remove this to change the memory. It should be long enough for you to just place the CD and Hard Drive out of the way and create enough room to change the memory.
8. You should be able to access the memory at this point. There are just two little tabs on each side of the memory chips. Just release them and the chips will pop right out.

G

On step 6 you mentioend:
"*NOTE* that when your removing the front cover there will be a two wire connector that needs to be removed, so be sure not to pull too hard on the front cover as to make sure you don't yank the socket etc."

While I was waiting for my hard drive replacement to come the solder came off this two wire connector. Is this connector just and LED, or does it control the DVD? Does anyone know if I can purchase another one, cheap?