Question How to overclock Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz Cpu without entering bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2016
Hello everyone, I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @

3.00GHz Cpu I would like to overclock.

It comes on a stock computer that I bought. I removed all cd drives. I have plenty of psu Watts to spare.

<Superfluous nonsense removed by moderator>

What some free programs that I can use to Overclock this cpu without entering Bios?

Hello everyone, I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @

3.00GHz Cpu I would like to overclock.

It comes on a stock computer that I bought. I removed all cd drives. I have plenty of psu Watts to spare.

<Superfluous nonsense removed by moderator>

What some free programs that I can use to Overclock this cpu without entering Bios?
overclocking this CPU requires overcloking FSB ferquency
if mainboard manufacturer doesnt provide any overclocking tool for windows, then you will need to do it in bios, but i doubt they would provide windows tool as raising FSB pretty much requires power cycle (as it raises ram frequency aswell which needs to be retrained pre POST)

some old mainboard had switches on mainboard to switch between different fsb frequencies, but not all mainboards offered FSB overclock
fig192_01.jpg

either this or bios

Last edited:
Reactions: Karadjgne
Nov 28, 2016
Here is the mother board specs:

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0C27VV (CPU)
Version A01
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Q45/Q43
Chipset Revision 03
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801JB (ICH10)
Southbridge Revision 02
BIOS
Brand Dell Inc.
Version A14
Date 8/21/2012

And cpu specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Cores 2
Threads 2
Name Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Code Name Wolfdale
Package Socket 775 LGA
Technology 45nm
Specification Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Family 6
Extended Family 6
Model 7
Extended Model 17
Stepping 6
Revision C0
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, Intel 64, NX, VMX
Virtualization Supported, Enabled
Hyperthreading Not supported
Stock Core Speed 3000 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 333 MHz

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Don't do it. The processor is from 2008. it is 85% slower than a modern CPU. You will never see a significant gain making it worth your while. I pieced together E8400 for wife wife's business. Does office work pretty nicely. Decent video card. Never OC'ed it with good reason.
Pre-mades like Dell laptops and PC's have very limited BIOS tweaking abilities. Like the tweaks you need for overclocking. New MB that probably not fit the case of a Dell proprietary setup. Don't know if yours is or not.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2016
Okay then, apparently "Buy it new" is the mantra. Let's do it. But to keep things seprate by subject, here is a link to the new " Buy a computer thread. " So all those that have tried / been trying to help ( Thank you.) can pitch in their knowledge and maybe we all can figure something out.

As kerberos pointed out, OEM machines of this era overclocked just fine with no BIOS support of any kind.

However doing this required a CPU speced with a lower FSB than the machine is rated for, so that you could raise the FSB higher to overclock. Your CPU's 1333MHz FSB is already at your computer's maximum rated FSB.

So you would need a different CPU to overclock with, preferably a quadcore as it's 2022.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Q45 didn't support OC last I heard. Dell bios does Not support OC in anything other than some XPS or Alienware systems.

If his model didn't have a quad option, seriously doubtful any quad will be recognised, Welcome to Dell proprietaryism.

There's no OC software that'll work to overclock that cpu, or any cpu that fits in that Dell. It's bios locked against such deliberately because the boards are so cheaply produced they will not handle the power differentials OC causes, and Dell doesn't want to deal with the RMA process anymore than it has to. Takes away from profits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.