[SOLVED] How to pack a Ryzen cpu for shipping?

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
So I am traveling and carrying my gaming PC in my suit case. It's only a micro atx case which is small enough to fit along side my things in my suit case. I am going on a train with only one stop for 2 hours so it will be easy to carry my PC with me. However, I was planning to take the motherboard, gpu, hdd/ssd, ram and cpu out of the case. I will be leaving the power supply, fans, and cables in the case. Since the side panel and front panel are acrylic I don't want them to snap so I will carry them in a plastic bag. My mobo and gpu will go in their boxes which fit in my backpack and i have the box from my fans which should fit my ram, hdd, ssd and cpu. I will wrap them all in bubble wrap. However, I misplaced the clam shell the cpu came in and i feel like kicking myself, lol. But I do have the plastic thing that the clam shell went in and the cpu box. Would the cpu be safe in the plastic thing and have the plastic thing securely wrapped in bubble wrap? I am horribly worried about bending the cpu pins. Or would it be safer to remove the cooler but keep the cpu safely secured in the mobo socket? That way it can be stored inside the mobo box in the mobo itself? The cooler can also fit in my backpack cause its the stock ryzen cooler. The reason why I am taking the pc apart is cause I dont want anything to snap off or break during my travels. Is it safe to leave the cpu in the mobo socket while traveling? It will be in my backpack so it should be fairly secure.

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Just bring whole thing with you, it's not like you would be driving offroad bike for hours, if everything is securely installed nothing could happen to it for such short and confy trip.
So would it be safer to leave it completely installed and not taken apart? It's only 2 hours and in my suit case which can be stood up on wheels cause it has 4 wheels. So it should be fine hopefully. Thanks for the advice!

So I am traveling and carrying my gaming PC in my suit case. It's only a micro atx case which is small enough to fit along side my things in my suit case. I am going on a train with only one stop for 2 hours so it will be easy to carry my PC with me. However, I was planning to take the motherboard, gpu, hdd/ssd, ram and cpu out of the case. I will be leaving the power supply, fans, and cables in the case. Since the side panel and front panel are acrylic I don't want them to snap so I will carry them in a plastic bag. My mobo and gpu will go in their boxes which fit in my backpack and i have the box from my fans which should fit my ram, hdd, ssd and cpu. I will wrap them all in bubble wrap. However, I misplaced the clam shell the cpu came in and i feel like kicking myself, lol. But I do have the plastic thing that the clam shell went in and the cpu box. Would the cpu be safe in the plastic thing and have the plastic thing securely wrapped in bubble wrap? I am horribly worried about bending the cpu pins. Or would it be safer to remove the cooler but keep the cpu safely secured in the mobo socket? That way it can be stored inside the mobo box in the mobo itself? The cooler can also fit in my backpack cause its the stock ryzen cooler. The reason why I am taking the pc apart is cause I dont want anything to snap off or break during my travels. Is it safe to leave the cpu in the mobo socket while traveling? It will be in my backpack so it should be fairly secure.

I agree you should leave it assembled. The only thing to worry about would be the cooler and GPU. You might could remove it but even so a wraith is pretty compact form factor so the loads on the socket shouldn't be excessive.

Removing the GPU, if it's a really big heavy one, might be a good idea. Smart system builders will do that if they don't have special brackets or straps to support the GPU during shipping.

If you have access to KNOWN static-safe bubble wrap then pack it in the case empty spaces full of that should help stabilize the cooler and possibly even the GPU if done right. Just don't pack it so full you wind up bowing the motherboard when you put the cover back on :) .

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I brought my whole micro ATX PC with me in checked luggage on a flight, only thing I did was remove the cooler (I had a tower cooler, a smaller downdraft stock cooler may even be fine to leave installed). I would guess that checked bags get roughed around more than your bag would with you carrying it. No issues.