How to permanently delete recycler folders in xp

terrymold

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Hi
I'm just wondering if there is a way to permanently delete the RECYCLER folder on every drive except perhaps C:.
They can be turned off for every drive using Recycle Bin properties, but as soon as XP starts again, they are automatically re-created.
Thanks
Terry

Recycler is a read only folder and that is why it gave error if you tried to delete it. To view the folder, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab and uncheck the option of Hide Protected operating System Files.

Now just right click on the folder, go to Properties and unselect the option of Read Only. Now it can be deleted.

terrymold

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Hi Hawkeye22

I'm well aware of the fact that they can easily be deleted, but as I mentioned in my post, they are re-instated by XP whenever I reboot.

So, my question still is.... Is there a way to permanently delete these folders so that they a not replaced by the OS.

In fact, when I reboot XP, after having gone through the Recycle Properties for each drive and selected "Do not move files to the recycle bin" for each drive, XP just removes all those settings and sets everything back to the default.

Well, it is a system folder, so there may be a registry entry that is rebuilding the recycler upon login. You may want to search the registry for recycler. However, your deletion properties getting reset makes me think something is wrong with the OS. My recycle settings stay set across reboots on all my computers.