[SOLVED] How to power more fans than the motherboard supports?

Jan 29, 2021
Hello!
For my build, I am going to be getting the Gigabyte Aorus x570 Elite
It has 4 fan headers:
CPU_FAN
CPU_OPT
SYS_FAN1
SYS_FAN2
I will be using a Corsair 4000D AirFlow case, which comes with 2 of the Corsair AirGuide 120mm Fans. I am also using Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler, and 2 of the Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fans.
The 2 Noctua 140mm Fans be mounted at the front of the case, sucking air in.
One of the 120mm Corsair AirGuide Fans will be at the rear of the case, acting as an exhaust. I will move the other one of these from the front of the case (where it is installed by default) to the roof, and it will also act as an exhaust.d
What else do I need to buy to get this system to work/what (Y-splitters, fan hubs) would I route to each fan header? Is my chosen fan configuration the best I could have with the fans I have available?
Thanks for any help,
Vulf

Solution
I agree with volicityg4 above. Some additional notes.

The issue here is fan type. The Noctuas you are buying are 4-pin PWM type. Unfortuantely the Corsair web page for that case does specify it includes two AirGuide fans, but their website tells us nothing about them. There is a good possibiliyt they are 3-pin fans of the older Voltage Control Mode design. To be able to control the speed of such fans, you cannot mix them with 4-pin fans on the same header, so add this to your connection plans.

Get two 4-pin fan Splitters. Use one to connect the two Noctua case fans to one of the mobo SYS_FAN headers. Configure that header to use the PWM Mode suited to 4-pin fans. Use the second Splitter to connect the two Corair AirGuide fans to the...
It looks like you have four case fans. You should be fine with two fans per SYS_FAN header using four pin Y-Splitters. Anything more than that and you have to worry about draw. But I've never seen any above 0.5A 12v. Not even my Noctua ippc 3000 fans.

Headers normally can handle at least 1A (12W) per header. You can double check the specs of your mobo and fans to be certain. If they've even published those numbers.

The CPU fan goes to the CPU header.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree with volicityg4 above. Some additional notes.

The issue here is fan type. The Noctuas you are buying are 4-pin PWM type. Unfortuantely the Corsair web page for that case does specify it includes two AirGuide fans, but their website tells us nothing about them. There is a good possibiliyt they are 3-pin fans of the older Voltage Control Mode design. To be able to control the speed of such fans, you cannot mix them with 4-pin fans on the same header, so add this to your connection plans.

Get two 4-pin fan Splitters. Use one to connect the two Noctua case fans to one of the mobo SYS_FAN headers. Configure that header to use the PWM Mode suited to 4-pin fans. Use the second Splitter to connect the two Corair AirGuide fans to the second SYS_FAN header. Configure that header to use the older Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode) IF they are 3-pin fans, OR to PWM Mode if they turn out to be 4-pin fans.

Solution
Jan 29, 2021
Thanks a lot, guys! So you can still plug 3-pin fans into 4-pin splitters? And how do you set the fan mode - BIOS I presume?
Finally, is the configuration alright?
Thanks in advance for any help & for the speedy replies :)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, a 3-pin fan works just fine with a 4-pin Splitter - it just does not use Pin #4. The important difference is in how you configure the mobo fan HEADER - either Voltage Control (aka DC) mode for 3-pin fans, or PWM Mode for 4-pin fans. And yes, that is done in BIOS Setup screens.

Jan 29, 2021
Yes, a 3-pin fan works just fine with a 4-pin Splitter - it just does not use Pin #4. The important difference is in how you configure the mobo fan HEADER - either Voltage Control (aka DC) mode for 3-pin fans, or PWM Mode for 4-pin fans. And yes, that is done in BIOS Setup screens.
Thank you! You're a star! <3