[SOLVED] how to prevent Windows Even Log from filling up disk ?

Sep 17, 2019
Dear community,
After a lot of hesitation, I decided yesterday to update my windows 10 to the latest version 1903, but little did I know that I'd come soon to regret that. Right after the update I noticed I was only left with about 15 GB of free space when I had over 60 GB before it, but that is not the main problem, the free space that I had left continued to shrink to the point where it literally reached 0, I have never seen my C drive completely full before so that had me panicked. I looked it up and I found that the previous version of windows might be taking up space, so I deleted it, and it worked, I got 30 GB back just like that and decided to leave things as is. However! that 30 GB of free space started shrinking as well, I checked the task manager, and the culprit was Windows Event Log since it was the only one using the disk up to 100%. I couldn't stop the service no matter what I did, and I can't go back to the old version since I deleted it, so please could anyone shed some light on why this is happening and how to fix it? Thanks

Solution
up until now i have never messed with the event viewer so i have absolutely no idea of how to find the problem in there.
Open Event viewer and set size limits on windows log files.

ManualConfig_WS_EventViewerPr2016.png

https://helpcenter.netwrix.com/Configure_IT_Infrastructure/Windows_Server/WS_Event_Log_Settings.html
D

Deleted member 14196

Something is wrong with windows because the event log should never grow like that. I will reinstall windows clean

Sep 17, 2019
Well then open up the windows event viewer and take a look at what’s going on as suggested above
the thing is, it's using up my disk space as i type and i'm down to 17 GB now, isn't there a way to stop it at least stop temporarily until i figure out what's going on? I get "Windows could not stop the event log service on local computer/ Error 1061: the service cannot accept contro messages at this time" error message

Sep 17, 2019
have you looked in event viewer to see if its a specific error repeating?

what are specs of the PC?

You might want to try this - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html
unfortunately, up until now i have never messed with the event viewer so i have absolutely no idea of how to find the problem in there.I have a 500 GB Disk with 175 GB for the C drive, 4 GB RAM, Intel G2020 CPU, Windows 10 Pro ver 1903.
by repairing windows, do my installed software stay where they are or will I have to reinstall them?

Sep 17, 2019
Sep 17, 2019
I checked their size and it doesn't seem the logs are the ones taking up space, while i had the problem i noticed the Windows Error Reporting process appearing and disappearing continuously so i thought maybe the Error reports were the one taking up space, but they took a measly 400 MB of space. Still looking for a solution

D

Deleted member 14196

download and run WinDirStat and see what's eating the space. also, 175GB is NOT enough for an OS drive. 500GB minimum.

Sep 17, 2019
download and run WinDirStat and see what's eating the space. also, 175GB is NOT enough for an OS drive. 500GB minimum.
I found the event log files in the Temp folder, each file is from 1 to 5 MB of size adding up to 60 GB, and there is where my free space has gone. Big thanks for all help guys!

D

Deleted member 14196

I found the event log files in the Temp folder, each file is from 1 to 5 MB of size adding up to 60 GB, and there is where my free space has gone. Big thanks for all help guys!
I would still suggest doing what @SkyNetRising suggests as well--to set a limit to size and overwrite as necessary