[SOLVED] How to Remove Microphone Hiss/Static caused by PC not being grounded?

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
Pretty much what the title says. I've been plagued with background hiss/static and I'm 90% sure it's caused by my computer not being grounded. I've "tried" a few different (cheap) microphones, replacing the cable on my current one, 2 different mobos, 3 different cases, and the only thing that worked was plugging my microphone into a laptop which removed all of the hiss.
It's not as if this is simply quiet hiss, it's almost as loud as me when I'm talking. Also I cannot hear the hiss whatsoever through my headphones.

Is there anything I can do that's relatively cheap to remove this hiss outside of using software? I've been looking at potentially buying a DAC or a simple 3.5mm to USB adapter to see if it at the very least even helps slightly.

Update: Plugged PC into an outlet that has a ground hole, although I don't have the equipment to see if it's actually connected and it's doubtful that it is, and it did not go away. Does make me second guess whether it's actually a grounding issue though.

Update 2:
Purchasing a 3.5mm to USB adapter fixed the hiss/static. However the quiet hum, that I didn't mention, has become far more noticeable. Plugging in my computer into an outlet with a ground does remove around half of the hum. Touching my case also fixes around half of it (resulting in 90% removal when plugged into ground and touching case) and plugging it into my monitor or directly into a mobo USB port doesn't fix any of it and touching parts of my monitor or case results in no change.
The plugging into ground part could also be a result of it being on it's own line instead of being plugged into a powerstrip with my monitors and a harddrive.
Also plugging in a different cable into the mic port results in no humming. So I believe the well worn cable might be the issue. The hum only appeared very recently. Will have to test with a different mic.

Last edited:
Solution
This:

"I'm 90% sure it's caused by my computer not being grounded. "

Why is the PC not grounded?

Improper grounding not only causes problems but is also very unsafe.

Instead of looking for workarounds get a qualified electrician to find and fix the grounding problem.

Some "cheap" ad hoc solution could make things dangerously worse.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

Instead of looking for workarounds get a qualified electrician to find and fix the grounding problem.

Solution

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
This:

It's not that there is a grounding issue it's that there is in fact no ground hole in the outlet as the house is old and hasn't been updated. Due to circumstances, I'd rather not say, hiring an electrician is 100% out of the question sadly.
Also added update to post.

Ralston18

Titan
Understand that there are "circumstances" and I will not probe that.

However, any place without proper electrical grounding is not safe.

And the consequences of some related electrical problem could simply make circumstances worse. Much worse.

Do not "second guess" yourself or the situation.

Seek assistance. Contact your electrical provider. They may be able to help or direct you so a resource who can help.

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
Purchasing a 3.5mm to USB adapter fixed the hiss/static. However the quiet hum, that I didn't mention, has become far more noticeable. Plugging in my computer into an outlet with a ground does remove around half of the hum. Touching my case also fixes around half of it (resulting in 90% removal when plugged into ground and touching case) and plugging it into my monitor or directly into a mobo USB port doesn't fix any of it and touching parts of my monitor or case results in no change.
The plugging into ground part could also be a result of it being on it's own line instead of being plugged into a powerstrip with my monitors and a harddrive.
Also plugging in a different cable into the mic port results in no humming. So I believe the well worn cable might be the issue. The hum only appeared very recently. Will have to test with a different mic.

Last edited: