[SOLVED] How to remove os from hdd as i clone to ssd

Jul 24, 2021
I have cloned my OS to SSD from HDD now I have windows in SSD and hdd both now I want to delete the windows of HDD how can I do it and there is boot manager also in both disk so I can boot windows from both SSD and hdd how can I delete it too? Help!

Solution
It look like this
And which disk is SSD and which is HDD.
Which is old windows partition?

If I had to guess ..
240GB disk is probably SSD,​
1TB disk is probably HDD,​
partition D: is probably old windows partition.​
Is that correct?

If you have verified, that system can boot with only SSD connected (HDD disconnected), then delete from old HDD
579MB System reserved partition,​
300MB EFI System partition,​
431GB old windows partition.​
Clean the hdd using diskpart. Then repartition and reformat it.
Note - everything from HDD gets deleted (not just OS).

ka03A000000mKf2QAE__11.jpg

But if you have cloned HDD to SSD, then all contents of HDD are on SSD now. You have a clone.
You don't need all the same data on HDD too. You can clean the hdd and use it for something else.

Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

There is no reason to do anything elaborate.
Boot from the new windows with the old disk as a secondary drive and just delete all the folders and files you want to delete, in other words delete everything you didn't save on it yourself.
If windows gives you issues for any reason you can boot your system with a live linux distro and delete from there.

You should make sure that your clone is working correctly though before doing that, disconnect the old drive and make sure the clone still boots into windows and works normally before starting to delete things.

Also it's a very good idea to keep the old installation as a backup of your personal files but also a backup in case something happens to your OS so you have a booting windows on a second drive.

Jul 24, 2021
There is no reason to do anything elaborate.
Boot from the new windows with the old disk as a secondary drive and just delete all the folders and files you want to delete, in other words delete everything you didn't save on it yourself.
If windows gives you issues for any reason you can boot your system with a live linux distro and delete from there.

You should make sure that your clone is working correctly though before doing that, disconnect the old drive and make sure the clone still boots into windows and works normally before starting to delete things.

Also it's a very good idea to keep the old installation as a backup of your personal files but also a backup in case something happens to your OS so you have a booting windows on a second drive.
And what about the EFI partition that is present in hdd and ssd too?

It look like this
And which disk is SSD and which is HDD.
Which is old windows partition?

If I had to guess ..
240GB disk is probably SSD,​
1TB disk is probably HDD,​
partition D: is probably old windows partition.​
Is that correct?

If you have verified, that system can boot with only SSD connected (HDD disconnected), then delete from old HDD
579MB System reserved partition,​
300MB EFI System partition,​
431GB old windows partition.​

Last edited:
Reactions: aayushdn
Solution