[SOLVED] How to safely fix/open Fractal Prism fan?

May 1, 2020
One of the case fans on my Fractal Design Define S2 Vision RGB recently stopped spinning. The rgb works but it doesn't spin. I took the case apart and if I manually spin it with my hand it's much more rigid than the other fans. The other fans keep spinning and this one just stops immediately. Since I don't have much to lose I tried taking it apart, but there doesn't seem to be a clear cut way to do this. Any tips? The case uses Fractal Design Prisma AL-14 fans.

The fan in question: View: https://imgur.com/a/peNoYEq

Solution
Lighting and fan operation are seperate and independent of each other on rgb fans. Only led fans have mostly the same power source.

It's toast. The bearings are shot. It's highly unlikely to be fixable because when the bearings start binding up, they create friction, a ton of heat which then melts/weakens the plastic holding the motor housing.

The only fix is replace it. If it's sufficiently new, it might still be under fractals warranty period. Worth looking into if wanting to save yourself some cash.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The way that modern fans are designed and assembled, it is nearly impossible to remove the fan blade assembly and then re-i+nstall it correctly. Even if you could, once you did that you probably could not reach the fan bearings to clean and lubricate them. You should simply replace the fan with something similar.

If you want the longer details, see the first paragraph of a post I made Apr27/20 in this thread

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/fan-disassembly-for-oiling.3598928/#post-21713677

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lighting and fan operation are seperate and independent of each other on rgb fans. Only led fans have mostly the same power source.

It's toast. The bearings are shot. It's highly unlikely to be fixable because when the bearings start binding up, they create friction, a ton of heat which then melts/weakens the plastic holding the motor housing.

The only fix is replace it. If it's sufficiently new, it might still be under fractals warranty period. Worth looking into if wanting to save yourself some cash.

Solution
May 1, 2020

I figured as such. Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.

TRENDING THREADS