[SOLVED] How to see public IP using CMD?

ThunDagaFlare

Reputable
Mar 23, 2017
I wanted to see what my public IP is using CMD
ipconfig /all only shows from what i understand internal IP (192.168.x.x)
nslookup also only shows 192.168.x.x
I want to know if it's possible to see public IP without using browser

Solution
Your PC has no concept of public/private IP. That is the NAT function in the router. Your PC must somehow ask either the router or some server on the internet what IP you are using. For some people even the router doesn't know if the ISP has another router doing NAT in the path.

There might be some program that can do it but what really is the difference between some special application and the web browser. Both are just requesting the information form some other device.
Your PC has no concept of public/private IP. That is the NAT function in the router. Your PC must somehow ask either the router or some server on the internet what IP you are using. For some people even the router doesn't know if the ISP has another router doing NAT in the path.

There might be some program that can do it but what really is the difference between some special application and the web browser. Both are just requesting the information form some other device.

Solution

ThunDagaFlare

Reputable
Mar 23, 2017

Cheers