[SOLVED] How to see what PCIe Generation your laptop supports=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan Smit

Honorable
May 13, 2015
I just bought the Asus TUF A15 2021 with Ryzen 5800H and RTX 3060. I know the 3060 runs with PCIe gen 4, but want to know if I can also get a PCIe Gen 4 SSD.
How can I know if this is supported? I know the CPU supports it, but not sure if the motherboard itself does.

Solution
You do not want a Gen4 NVMe in a laptop. Those drives require a beefy heatsink for a reason. They run extremely hot. Adding that to an already compromised airflow hotbox is just a recipe for disaster. Stick with Gen3 NVMe instead, there's realistically no difference unless you are doing a lot of very large file movement, long compression/decompression or other such. For gaming and everyday usage, there's 0 difference.

Dylan Smit

Honorable
May 13, 2015
This is from their site:
512GB M.2 NVMe™ PCIe® 3.0 SSD
1TB M.2 NVMe™ PCIe® 3.0 SSD
I think it doesnt support PCIe 4.0, the motherboard probably is PCIe 3.0.
Yes, that's the current ssd. I want to add one or change it. I am not surprised a pretty cheap model will still have a pci-e gen 3 SSD as default, but they could have enabled gen 4, hence my question

Dylan Smit

Honorable
May 13, 2015
You probably wont get much (if any) benefits by going with a PCIe 4.0 SSD.
Mainly because its not supported by the laptop and because PCIe 4.0 is no where near as evolved as it needs to be to make noticable difference in normal usage.
Where does it state it's not supported?
I edit a lot of videos, so it could definitely be beneficial for sequencial speeds

Where does it state it's not supported?
I edit a lot of videos, so it could definitely be beneficial for sequencial speeds
Well since it comes with 2 PCIe 3.0 m.2's i suppose it doesnt support it.
Go to UPGRADEABILITY tab, see if you find anything.
I've been looking at it and there doesnt seem to be anything that indicates it support's PCIe 4.0 m.2's, it only says that there are 2 m.2 nvme upgrade options, alongside RAM ofcourse.
But i might be missing something.

Dylan Smit

Honorable
May 13, 2015
Well since it comes with 2 PCIe 3.0 m.2's i suppose it doesnt support it.
Go to UPGRADEABILITY tab, see if you find anything.
I've been looking at it and there doesnt seem to be anything that indicates it support's PCIe 4.0 m.2's, it only says that there are 2 m.2 nvme upgrade options, alongside RAM ofcourse.
But i might be missing something.
Those 2 are the options, so it comes with 1 of them I think. Again it's not saying anything about the actual support

Reactions: Dj0gany
I just bought the Asus TUF A15 2021 with Ryzen 5800H and RTX 3060. I know the 3060 runs with PCIe gen 4, but want to know if I can also get a PCIe Gen 4 SSD.
How can I know if this is supported? I know the CPU supports it, but not sure if the motherboard itself does.
Where did you see the cpu supports gen 4?
As per the specs the machine supports gen 3 not 4.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You do not want a Gen4 NVMe in a laptop. Those drives require a beefy heatsink for a reason. They run extremely hot. Adding that to an already compromised airflow hotbox is just a recipe for disaster. Stick with Gen3 NVMe instead, there's realistically no difference unless you are doing a lot of very large file movement, long compression/decompression or other such. For gaming and everyday usage, there's 0 difference.

Reactions: Dylan Smit
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.