How to set up RAID ?>

Can I set up raid for backup purposes using software ? I have one hard disk ,
do i Need another one ?
Mother board is gigabyte 8IG1000, P4, 2.4 Ghz with hyperthreading processor

In order to configure a RAID, you'll need to setup a
RAID configuration. This requires two identical hard
drives, a motherboard with RAID or a RAID controller
card. Then you must install Windows XP from scratch.
Consult your motherboard's User's Manual for detailed
instructions.

Documentation on how to setup a RAID configuration
can be found in your motherboard's User's Guide. If you
do not have one, you may download it here:
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Manual/Manual_GA-8IG1000.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Dr. Adham" wrote:

| Can I set up raid for backup purposes using software ? I have one hard disk ,
| do i Need another one ?
| Mother board is gigabyte 8IG1000, P4, 2.4 Ghz with hyperthreading processor

Not quite...

The OP noted "backup purposes," which implies RAID 1 mirroring. Granted, RAID 1
is not technically a "backup" system, but can be part of a backup/data integrity
strategy.

A RAID 1 array can be created from a good single HD, once a second, identical HD
is added to the controller. Different RAID BIOSes may have different
terminology, but my Promise controller has options in the BIOS to [re]build a
RAID 1 (Mirror) from a known good HD.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote...
> In order to configure a RAID, you'll need to setup a
> RAID configuration. This requires two identical hard
> drives, a motherboard with RAID or a RAID controller
> card. Then you must install Windows XP from scratch.
> Consult your motherboard's User's Manual for detailed
> instructions.

> "Dr. Adham" wrote:
>
> | Can I set up raid for backup purposes using software ? I have one hard disk
> ,
> | do i Need another one ?
> | Mother board is gigabyte 8IG1000, P4, 2.4 Ghz with hyperthreading processor

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

You do NOT two identical drives! You can use any two or more drives. All
of the drives will be formated to the size of the smallest drive, so if you
RAID a 2gig drive with a 200gig drive, you will only be able to use 2gigs of
the 200gig drive...but you can use it that way. It makes more sence to use
identical drives, because there is no wasted space...in this case, 198gigs
waste!

You do NOT need to install Windows from scratch if it is not your boot
drive!