Question How to solve "Out of range" error on LG display + macOS after monitor power shut down ?

Jun 1, 2023
Hi, every time I power on my LG Ultrafine 27UP850N-W monitor and wake either one of my Macs (M2 Mac Mini or M2 Macbook Air) that are connected via a OWC Thunderbolt 4 dock to the HDMI input, the display just shows pixel noise and "out of range error". See picture. Whenever I reconnect the thunderbolt 4 cable it immediately goes back to normal. No restart, reboot, reset or anything is required. Just plugging out the cable and plugging it back in resolves the problem, but it's still super annoying.

I tested all available resolutions on macOS and am pretty sure that no resolution is out of range. Also, both macs don't change anything when reconnecting the cable. So I assume that the problem is on the monitor's end. How can I fix this? Any ideas?

IMG-5479.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023
Which OWC dock model do you have exactly?

update the dock´s firmware if available:
Thank you, OWC just calls it "Thunderbolt dock" – it's this one:

OWC Thunderbolt Dock – Thunderbolt 4 / USB4 Dock mit 11-Ports, 8k, 5k, 2X 4k @ 60Hz, 1x 4k @ 120Hz Displays, Gigabit Ethernet, 3X TB4 (USB-C), 3X USB Gen 2 Type-A, 1x USB 2.0​

and yes, all cables are proper TB4. So the hardware should be fine.

Why do you think it could be the dock? Unfortunaltey OWC only offers a firmware upgrade installer for Windows.