Question How to underclock i7 13700k on Gigabyte aorus z690 elite ax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanned

Honorable
May 30, 2016
Hi guys,

So I've been doing some testing and it seems that my cpu reaches 100ºC under 100% load on cinebench using a 240ml AIO.

I watched JTC's video on underclocking intel and managed to get it to 1.115 V (static) and 5.1Ghz (I don't need it at 5.3-5.4) using Intel's XTU and it was running at 85ºC . I ran cinebench r23 for a long time and it seemed rock solid stable. (Also my power draw went from 280w peak, to 210w)

I wanted to ask if someone knows how to input those same values in the BIOS since it is way more complex and I don't feel like messing it up.

My pc specs if needed:

I7 13700k (stock atm)
Corsair dominator platinum 32GB 5200mhz ddr5
Gigabyte aorus z690 elite ax
Gigabyte rtx 3090 24g
Samsung 980pro 1tb

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you want to go fixed voltage, you need only set the CPU core voltage to that in the BIOS.

Probably better off just setting a manual power limit like 200W and letting the voltage control itself, and maybe a small negative voltage offset.

No straight answer can be given as each CPU is a little different.

As to the exact instructions on the motherboard. If you want to set per core maximums or all core limit to 5.1Ghz, those options are pretty straight forward. Setting the core voltage, is just a matter of changing it from auto to 1.115 volts. I probably wouldn't do that as it will waste power, so a negative offset would make more sense. That would let the voltage rise and fall as needed, but might use a little less power.

Power limits would be PL1 and PL2. PL2 is probably what you want to limit since that is the boost ranges, you just set the wattage there and a timer. By default on 13th gen I think the time is unlimited for K chips.

Blanned

Honorable
May 30, 2016
If you want to go fixed voltage, you need only set the CPU core voltage to that in the BIOS.

Probably better off just setting a manual power limit like 200W and letting the voltage control itself, and maybe a small negative voltage offset.

No straight answer can be given as each CPU is a little different.

As to the exact instructions on the motherboard. If you want to set per core maximums or all core limit to 5.1Ghz, those options are pretty straight forward. Setting the core voltage, is just a matter of changing it from auto to 1.115 volts. I probably wouldn't do that as it will waste power, so a negative offset would make more sense. That would let the voltage rise and fall as needed, but might use a little less power.

Power limits would be PL1 and PL2. PL2 is probably what you want to limit since that is the boost ranges, you just set the wattage there and a timer. By default on 13th gen I think the time is unlimited for K chips.

Hey,

Thanks for answering!

I'd love to set the power limit to 210 W ish and lower the clocks to 5.1GHz with a slight negative offset undervolt. I don't like my cpu being as high as 100ºC under full load, so achieving 85ish ºC in exchange of some slight performance, would make me feel relieved.

Regarding the BIOS options, I just built this system so I'm not familiar with gigabyte`s bios. I'd love it if you or anyone could shine up some light on what to change and where. Here is my BIOS:
4VuY2Xq.jpg
0bMzaZe.png
agXJXYr.png
cO4GKFd.png
4u7HqrS.jpg
6H3jBhr.jpg
xArAS3E.jpg

O3IS4vq.jpg

Here are the settings I had on XTU that were stable:
nsMb9IZ.png

Thanks in advance :)!

Blanned

Honorable
May 30, 2016
So I've tried limiting PL1 and PL2 to 200W, which lowered my cpu to 78ºC under full load, however it downclocks on the P cores to around 4,8ghz. Is there any way to keep them at 5.0 or 5.1ghz?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Voltage offset might achieve that. If it can do the same job with less voltage, power should go down, which means it could clock higher with the same power limit. You are just going to have to play with it to get the results you want. Every cooling configuration, ambient temperature, and CPU is unique.

You were running 210W before and getting 5.1Ghz, try that again in the BIOS.

Meidankan

Commendable
May 3, 2020
So I've tried limiting PL1 and PL2 to 200W, which lowered my cpu to 78ºC under full load, however it downclocks on the P cores to around 4,8ghz. Is there any way to keep them at 5.0 or 5.1ghz?
Have you managed to sort it out?
For some reason for me intel xtu is not "applying" any changes, been also looking at a way to lower temps

Oct 28, 2022
Hey,
My mobo is Asus tuf z690 D4, Cpu cooler is Artic duo 34 (an air cooler), DDR4 32gb 3000mhz

First I changed the C-state state from "Auto" to "Enable" (This fixed the constant clock frequency). Then I set the c-state class to C8 to increase power savings.
I also set my PL1 limit to 175W and my PL2 limit to unlimited (4095W).

In addition
Actual VRM Core Voltage "Offset Mode"
Offset Mode Sign "-"
CPU Core Voltage Offset "Auto"
Global Core SVID Voltage "Adaptive Mode"
Offset Mode Sign "-"
Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage "Auto"
Offset Voltage ".13500"
Cache SVID Voltage "Adaptive Mode"
Offset Mode Sign "-"
Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage "Auto"
Offset Voltage "Auto"
I set it to.

According to these settings:
When the PC is idle;
CPU 29-33, CPU Package 35-40 degrees
CPU package Power consumption is in the range of 17W-18W (was in the range of 24W-30W in stock settings)
my fan speeds:
CPU 700-800rpm
2 front panel inputs 360rpm (200mmx2)
Input from 1 bottom panel 0rpm (120mmx1)
2 top panel outputs 436rpm(140mmx2)
1 exhaust 620rpm (120mmx1)

When PC is on load (Cinebench R23 multicore 30627, single 2086);
Max. CPU 76, CPU Package 87 degrees
Max. CPU Package Power consumption 189W
my fan speeds:
CPU 2150rpm (full)
2 front panel inputs 740rpm (full) (200mmx2)
Input from 1 bottom panel 1100rpm(full) (120mmx1)
2 top panel outputs 1000rpm (full) (140mmx2)
1 exhaust 1500rpm (full) (120mmx1)

Feb 15, 2023
I see a lot of changes here for something quite simple. Why nobody's talking about "Enhanced multi-core performance" ? I see it on auto on your screenS. This is the first thing to turn off ! It means the MB is OCing badly to gain some useless perfs but at a temp/Volts/Watts cost very bad. Stupid battle between Intel/AMD, they're pushing hard for no reason.

After that a simple adaptive V-core (1.330V) and Vcore offset (-0.125V) and some watts tweaks (PPL 1 125, PPL2 253). Temp limit if you're cautious and you're good. 5400Mhz and all, max 75-80°C Cinebench R23. And this is certainly too safe, could do better. Directly in the BIOS, quick to do. This should also help getting XMP (auto) stable.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023
Undervolting won't create any damage. Quite the contrary. Unless you really do total nonsense. That's why I'm not a big fan of changing 10-20 settings for something simple. There are tons of reasons to not let the CPU go at 100°C and consume massive power each time it "needs" it. Why do you think there are videos, topics, guides absolutely everywhere about undervolting if this was not a thing ?? Correctly done it can even bring more perfs. There is a controversy about this current situation with 13gen.

Also your link does not contradict the interest of putting limitations. They do the test too. Have you read it ?? For some people (bad MB bending, moderate cooling) default settings won't even be ok. The all thing is why letting your MB push this hard your CPU (max temp, abnormal power use) for no real reason.
I mean, the situation is so crazy everyone now want to install contact frame on their high-end MB... and the best proof : Intel is warning about the "necessity" to have decent cooling method for those CPUs. You can read this warning on every dealer online. Is that ok to force ppl investing on better rads than usual ? Was it like that before ? Should we be happy with it ? (prices are already a concern)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.