Question How to update Asus Prime A320m-k bios

Rhysjones106

Honorable
Jan 2, 2017
Hello,

I've built a little system for my nephew.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 5600G
Asus Prime a320m-k
8gb corsair ram
Be quiet psu

The system won't display when powered on and has been tested with different hdmi cables, with a gpu and without but it still won't display.

When building the system PcPartPicker said the mobo will need a bios update to work with the CPU.

Is this why it won't post? And if so how can I update the bios without display?

I've built a few pcs over the last couple of years and have never come across this issue before.

Attempted fixes:
I've reset bios, remounted ram and checked all cable connections with no effect.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Purchase the least expensive 1st gen CPU (like an Athlon) that you can find. Power the system up with it to verify operation and then use it to update the BIOS. You may need to check revision notes for the BIOS versions on the specific motherboard to be sure that is possible as I have run across some of the 3xxx BIOS versions remove support for 1xxx, although I haven't personally experienced it.

Other option would be to purchase a suitable 5xx chipset mobo. They offer the A chipset for those as well.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

I've built a little system for my nephew.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 5600G
Asus Prime a320m-k
8gb corsair ram
Be quiet psu

The system won't display when powered on and has been tested with different hdmi cables, with a gpu and without but it still won't display.

When building the system PcPartPicker said the mobo will need a bios update to work with the CPU.

Is this why it won't post? And if so how can I update the bios without display?

I've built a few pcs over the last couple of years and have never come across this issue before.

Attempted fixes:
I've reset bios, remounted ram and checked all cable connections with no effect.
I wish you had asked for some guidance before you purchased parts.
The A320 and a single 8GB RAM stick are poor choices for the CPU you chose. If you get the BIOS updated, then you will still have poor graphics performance because of the single DIMM.

Reactions: Rhysjones106

Rhysjones106

Honorable
Jan 2, 2017
I wish you had asked for some guidance before you purchased parts.
The A320 and a single 8GB RAM stick are poor choices for the CPU you chose. If you get the BIOS updated, then you will still have poor graphics performance because of the single DIMM.
The pc isn't going to be doing anything heavy for the time being I picked the parts I did so that my nephew can expand on it later once he has more money

kanewolf

Titan
The pc isn't going to be doing anything heavy for the time being I picked the parts I did so that my nephew can expand on it later once he has more money
But "adding" memory almost never works well. The single 8GB memory stick you purchased will have to be replaced with a 2 DIMM set to get stability.
I would expect minecraft or Roblox usage. Graphics will suffer.

Rhysjones106

Honorable
Jan 2, 2017
Purchase the least expensive 1st gen CPU (like an Athlon) that you can find. Power the system up with it to verify operation and then use it to update the BIOS. You may need to check revision notes for the BIOS versions on the specific motherboard to be sure that is possible as I have run across some of the 3xxx BIOS versions remove support for 1xxx, although I haven't personally experienced it.

Other option would be to purchase a suitable 5xx chipset mobo. They offer the A chipset for those as well.

Would the Athlon 64 x2 do the trick?