[SOLVED] How to update BIOS on Acer Travelmate B117-MP

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
This may sound like a very basic question but I want to be doubly sure before proceeding. I have Acer Travelmate B117-MP laptop with Windows 10.
I want to update BIOS to latest v1.24 as available from Acer.

The BIOS file available on Acer site is a zip file that unzips to ZHX_124.exe. So actually it's an EXE file.
Does it mean I am supposed to run it from within Windows 10 to update BIOS? Is it self sufficient enough to do everything needed to update the BIOS?

This EXE thing is new to me. Up till now for me BIOS update would mean, put the BIN file (or similar) on a Fat formatted pendrive. Get into BIOS, access Flash or Update option and point to that BIN on the pendrive.

Unfortunately there's no info on Acer site. Neither about what this BIOS fixes to how to flash.

Solution
Did you run linux in your laptop? I don't use the linux so that I can't answer your Q. But if you use the linux only, disconnect the linux boot drive, you may run the Window with other hard drive, update the BIOS first, then switch back to the linux again.

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Thanks for the link. The information is not relevant to my model. The procedure also does not refer anything like EXE file. I have done BIOS updates on several desktops and laptops but this EXE thing is totally new. Just as a side question, does it also mean that I can not update BIOS if I were to have Linux on my Acer laptop. EXE won't run on Linux as is I guess.

Last edited:
Did you run linux in your laptop? I don't use the linux so that I can't answer your Q. But if you use the linux only, disconnect the linux boot drive, you may run the Window with other hard drive, update the BIOS first, then switch back to the linux again.

Solution